Social Change Leadership Coordinator
Appointment Type: Administrative/Professional Faculty
Department: Memorial Union 160400 MUN
Position Summary: The Intercultural Student Services Department and the Department of Student Leadership and Involvement (SLI) invite applications for a full-time, 1.0 FTE, 12-month, Social Change Leadership Coordinator position. Reappointment is at the discretion of the Director.
Student Leadership and Involvement (SLI) exists to create meaningful and diverse opportunities for leadership development and involvement experiences that cultivate positive social change. As a cornerstone of OSU's student diversity efforts, Intercultural Student Services is committed to the overall development of under-served students. We create and advocate for inclusive and educationally purposeful initiatives that enhance deep learning, academic success, cross-cultural fluency and self-efficacy by fostering a climate that supports social equality, community engagement, and global membership.
The Social Change Leadership Programs (SCLP) Coordinator, in conjunction with various campus partners, will provide a hub for co-curricular social justice and social change related education, training, and outreach for students at OSU. The person in this position assists with developing co-curricular experiences designed to promote and increase the awareness, knowledge, and skills of the OSU student community about diversity, multiculturalism, social justice and positive social change. This position will focus on enhancing opportunities for student leadership development and engagement by developing resources and co-curricular experiences to promote an institutional and community climate of justice. The SCLP Coordinator will develop education and training programs that address individual, interpersonal, and systemic issues of power, privilege, and oppression regarding all social identities and support leadership opportunities to create positive social change in these dynamics at OSU. This position will be responsible for the assessment of signature programs and provide recommendations to enhance social justice education and training programs. Consistent with the mission and goals of OSU, the coordinator will support a continuous search for new knowledge and solutions that support social progress.
The SCLP Coordinator will work with multiple partners on campus (and off) to support ongoing programs that are being run through multiple stakeholders. In an effort to bridge Intercultural Student Services and the Department of Student Leadership & Involvement, this position will dually report within both areas.
Position Duties: 35% Advising, Development, & Training
- Provide advising and developmental support to student coordinated social justice education program(s)
- Develop, deliver, and assess social justice/multiculturalism based training programs for students
- Develop progressive social justice education and social change leadership modules for student constituents.
- Develop and lead the social justice and community based cross-department student staff training and development program
30% Program Coordination/Administrative Oversight
- Support and provide administrative base for current campus co-curricular programs focused on social justice and social change education efforts for students
- Develop relevant marketing and communications for programs
- Develop, administer and assess signature co-curricular programs focused on social justice education and development of social change leadership
- Oversee allocated programming/administrative budget
- Oversight of student employees
Position Duties (continued): 25% Education & Outreach
- Develop/support OSU efforts to provide multiculturalism/social justice education focused conferences and institutes
- Develop/support educational speakers series
- Partner with campus offices and departments focused in this work to enhance current offerings
- Act as a primary contact and interface for local and regional Community members focused on social change programming.
10% Other Duties
- Participate in ISS and SLI meetings, professional development, and related team-building activities
- Serve on relevant campus committees
- Other duties as assigned by ISS or SLI Director(s)
Working Conditions/Work Schedule: The work of the Coordinator will be primarily office and campus-based but will include programmatic support for off campus outreach efforts. The Coordinator will work primarily Monday through Friday at 40 hours a week. Evening and weekend hours will be expected to support some student staff meetings and programming efforts.
Minimum/Required Qualifications: Bachelors degree or equivalent of 4 years (full-time equivalency) in work related to the position duties.
Candidates should have leadership ability, affinity with students, high levels of organizational ability and be able to manage with fairness and transparency.
-Experience in social justice education curriculum
-Demonstrated commitment to creating an environment of inclusion and the interpersonal skills to effectively interact with people from different backgrounds.
-Demonstrated experience and success working with multiple partners and stakeholders.
-Demonstrated organizational skills to prioritize work and meet multiple work assignments while handling multiple tasks and deadlines.
-Demonstrated ability in effective verbal and written communication
-Previous experience with asessment and evaluation of programs and events
-Demonstrated ability in organization with attention to detail
A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity is required.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Criminal History Check and be determined to be position qualified as per OAR 576-055-0000 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions and those in Youth Programs may have additional Criminal History Checks every 24 months. Offers of employment are contingent upon meeting all minimum qualifications including the Criminal History Check Requirement.
Preferred (Special) Qualifications: Master's Degree in Social Justice Education, Education, Adult Education, College Student Services, Sociobiology, or related field of study.
Demonstrated knowledge of:
College student development theory and practices
Theories of social change
-Creating social change and social justice curriculum
-Collaborating with multiple work units
-Supervising student employees
-Experience in marketing and promotions
-Budget development and management
-Working with web design and content management
Scholarly Outcomes for Position (academic faculty only):
Posting Date: 04-23-2014
For Full Consideration Date:
Closing Date: 05-12-2014
Recommended Full-Time Salary Range: $35,300-$60,000
Posting Number: 0012313
Quicklink for Posting: jobs.oregonstate.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=63959PI76333315