Accounts Payable Supervisor
Accounts Payable Supervisor
Ventura County Community College District
Posting Number 0602459
Employee Type Classified Supervisor
Job Category Classified
Under the direction of the Director, Fiscal Services, plan, organize, and oversee the operations of the Accounts Payable Department; oversee and participate in analyzing, verifying, and auditing various accounts payable transactions and ensure compliance with established Board policies and governmental regulations.
Plan, organize, direct, and oversee the day-to-day operations and activities of the Accounts Payable department. E
Oversee the processing of all vouchers, including electronic payments (ACH) and wire transfers. E
Investigate and identify processing errors within the financial software system. E
Assist in the testing and implementation of financial system upgrades. E
Develop, document, and implement accounts payable procedures. E
Train accounts payable staff on District policies and governmental regulations related to disbursements and the use of the automated finance system. E
Prepare and submit a variety of reports related to accounts payable, including but not limited to, sales and use, tax returns, and 1099 tax forms. E
Investigate and resolve mismatches of taxpayer names and identification numbers reported by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS); process withholdings from vendor payments based on statutory requirements. E
Interprets and provides information regarding routine legal mandates, policies, regulations and operational guidelines to District personnel. E
Analyze travel advances and trip vouchers for completeness and accuracy and ensuring compliance with District policies and procedures. E
Perform accounts payable general ledger account reconciliation. E
Oversee and participate in the maintenance of vendor payment files. E
Identify, analyze, research, and resolve accounting issues associated with accounts payable transactions such as tax problems, purchase order, or and invoice discrepancies; resolve vendor disputes; coordinate with vendors to improve or streamline operations. E
Direct year-end accounts payable activities, ensuring accrued expenditures are allocated to the appropriate accounting period/fiscal year; prepare related general ledger account reconciliations in support of the annual external financial audit. E
Ensure compliance with established Board policies and governmental regulations. E
Select, train, supervise and evaluate Accounts Payable Department staff. E
Perform related duties as assigned.
E = Essential Duties
Any combination equivalent to:
Education: An associate degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
Experience: Four years of progressively responsible accounts payable experience involving the preparation and maintenance of financial and accounting records. Such experience must include at least two years of experience in an accounts payable department and at least one year of experience working in a lead or supervisory capacity.
• Accounting methods and procedures used in accounts payable
• Federal, state, local laws, regulations, and policies governing accounts payable
• Accounting, auditing and internal control principles, practices, and procedures
• Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Principles of business writing and report preparation
• Principles and practices of administration, supervision, and training
• Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and associated software
• Plan, organize, direct, and control the activities, services, and operations of District accounts payable procedures and processes
• Provide technical expertise and guidance to District staff concerning accounts payable
• Select, train and evaluate classified staff, students, and short-term employees
• Read, interpret, explain, and apply accounting principles and laws, codes, and regulations related to assigned areas of responsibility
• Utilize accounting and auditing practices applicable to public sector accounting
• Operate computerized accounting system software, integrated data management systems, and other office productivity software including spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation applications
• Analyze financial data and prepare reports, forecasts, and recommendations
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
• Analyze situations and adopt effective courses of action
• Work independently with little direction
• Plan and organize work to meet schedules and timelines
• Maintain accurate and complete records
• Work confidentially with discretion
• Seeing to prepare and audit financial records
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information on the telephone or in person
• Sitting or standing for extended periods of time
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, calculator, and other office equipment
Requested Start Date: TBD
Work Week: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Closing Date: 05-04-2014
To apply, visit: http://jobs.vcccd.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=54504
Required Applicant Documents:
Documents not to exceed 2mb maximum
EXAMINATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
This is an examination open to the public and current district employees seeking a promotional opportunity. To ensure consideration, please submit your application materials by May 4, 2014.
The examination process will consist of the following components:
A) Training and Experience Evaluation (T&E) = Qualifying (pass/fail)
B) Technical Interview = 100% weighting on final score
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications stated by the filing deadline in order to move forward in the testing process. Those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will have their application materials reviewed during a Training and Experience Evaluation (T&E). A T&E is an assessment of training and experience that has prepared the candidate for the position. Those with the highest scores on the T&E will be invited to the technical interview. All communication regarding this process will be delivered via email.
The date range and location of the technical interview are listed below.
Date Range: Monday, May 19, 2014 to Friday, May 23, 2014
Location: Ventura County Community College District
255 W. Stanley Avenue, Suite 150
Ventura, CA 93001
The above date range is subject to change. Applicants will be notified of any scheduling changes via email.
Official transcripts must be presented to Human Resources prior to beginning employment.
The Ventura County Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunities and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, physical disability, mental disability, ancestry, sexual orientation, language, accent, citizenship status, transgender status, parental status, marital status, economic status, veteran status, medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
$4496.00 - $6245.00
New employees may request salary placement above step one based on directly related education and experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications for the classification. Advanced salary placement must be requested at the time of offer and is subject to verification of qualifying experience and applicable collective bargaining agreements and/or Personnel Commission rules.
$4496.00 - $6245.00
Special Instructions to Applicants
PRELIMINARY SCREENING OF APPLICATIONS & SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE:
In completing the application and the supplemental questionnaire, outline in detail your education, training (such as classes, seminars, workshops) and experience. Please be sure to answer every component of each supplemental question as your responses will be scored and serve as your score on the training and experience evaluation. Appearance before the oral examination (interview) board will be limited to the candidates with the highest T&E scores. For your application to be considered, the supplemental questions must be completed in full. Failure to answer the questions as required will result in disqualification.
Upon completion of the examination, the open / promotional eligibility list will be compiled by combining the final examination score with applicable seniority and veteran's credits, if any. The candidates will be ranked according to their total score on the eligibility list. Certification will be made from the highest three ranks of the eligibility list. This eligibility list will be used to fill the current vacancies up to one year from the date of the technical interview.
All appointments made from eligibility lists for initial appointment or for promotion shall be probationary for a period of six (6) months or one hundred thirty (130) days of paid service whichever is longer.
Individuals with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation in the selection process must inform the Ventura County Community College District Human Resources Department in writing no later than the filing date stated on the announcement. Those applicants needing such accommodations should document this request including an explanation as to the type and extent of accommodation needed to participate in the selection process.
The following questions will be asked of all applicants.
When you apply for this position, you may wish to compose your responses to the supplemental questions in a separate document that can be edited, saved, and pasted into the applicable online application supplemental question response fields. This will prevent the unintended loss of data, as the system will automatically log you out after 60 minutes of inactivity.
1. Describe your technical accounting experience. In your response, be sure to include (A) a description of your accounting responsibilities, (B) the name of the organization in which you obtained this experience, and (C) the number of years of experience you have accumulated. If you have no such experience, please mark N/A.
2. Describe your experience leading or supervising staff. In your response, be sure to include (A) the organization in which you were a lead/supervisor, (B) the number of staff members you were responsible for leading/supervising, (C) the functions for which your staff was responsible, and (D) whether or not you have administered progressive discipline. If you have no such experience, please mark N/A.
3. Describe your experience processing payables for an organization. In your response, be sure to include (A) the name of the organization in which you obtained this experience, (B) the average number of invoices you were responsible for processing each month, and (C) the name and brief description of the computer program you used to process the invoices, including whether the system was fully integrated. If you have no such experience, please mark N/A.
4. Please list the college-level coursework you have completed in accounting. In your response, be sure to include (A) the name of the school(s) where the course(s) was completed, (B) the title of the course(s), and (C) final grade(s) received. If you have not completed any accounting coursework, please mark N/A.
5. How did you learn about this job vacancy?