Faculty - Humanities - Winter Haven (140031)
About the Opportunity:
At Polk State College, our amazing faculty and staff create an inspiring workplace. This professional, full time, tenure track faculty position plays a key role in our college and student success. In addition to excellent academic programs, we offer a collaborative, creative and culturally diverse work environment. If you want to be supported in your professional growth and to be recognized for your contributions, then come work for Polk State!
About the Position:
Reporting to the campus Academic Dean, the primary role of this full time instructional position is to provide college level instruction and instruction-related activities designed to encourage, support and enable students' success. Working for Polk State College, you join a talented and dedicated academic community as they prepare tomorrow's leaders.
- Teach courses in accordance with published course descriptions, schedules, procedures and course outlines.
- Work with the campus dean, associate dean, department chairs and other faculty and staff as appropriate to assess and modify course and program goals, objectives, methods and content.
- Conduct on-going evaluation of student progress and maintain records of student course/class performance.
- Prepare and submit grade reports and other reports on student performance as may be scheduled or required.
- Conduct class evaluations and complete other college evaluations in accordance with college policy.
- Maintain a high level of expertise in the subjects taught.
The compensation (pay level) for this position is based upon the degree level attained and years of experience in the specific discipline (Step 10 is the maximum step for an incoming faculty member).
A. Demonstrated extensive knowledge of the subject area(s) in which the individual is responsible for instruction.
B. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of effective communication and of effective instruction.
C. Knowledge and understanding of the characteristics of community college students.
D. Knowledge and understanding of principles of curriculum development.
E. Ability to communicate effectively in writing, and orally with a variety of audiences in a variety of settings.
F. Ability to make professional judgments within defined parameters of policy and professional standards.
A minimum of a Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution with at least eighteen (18) graduate hours in the discipline to be taught.
A Doctorate in the field to be taught is preferred.Experience Required
A minimum of two years college teaching experience is preferred.
Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience in community or state college teaching and assessment. Familiarity with distance education delivery methods is desirable.
We offer an excellent employer-paid benefits package including the following: Medical, Dental, Life, Long-Term Disability and Sick Leave, Retirement (if eligible) and college fee waivers. Other employee-paid, voluntary benefits (vision, short-term disability, etc.) are also available.
- Application Requirements: A completed online application consists of five (5) documents:
- a cover letter,
- your resume/CV,
- the Polk State electronic job application (eApp) with all sections completed in full,
- unofficial transcripts (see instructions below), and
- a statement of teaching philosophy, not to exceed one double-spaced typed page.
Submissions that do not include all required information will not be considered.
- Background Screening: Reference checks and successful completion of a Level II background check (fingerprinting) will be required prior to employment.
- UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS: When uploading unofficial transcripts, please redact any of the following items which appear on the transcript: Social security number, birth date, age, gender, and date of high school graduation.
- Foreign Transcripts: Faculty with international degrees must have their coursework evaluated in terms of U.S. "equivalency." Polk State College requires that all international credential evaluations be conducted by one of the companies affiliated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES®).
- Submission of official transcripts will be required as a condition of employment following receipt of job offer.
- Veterans’ Preference: Eligible applicants may use the Documentation Form to apply for Veterans’ Preference for positions in qualifying categories. The DD-214 and all required documentation must be submitted with the completed application for consideration.
- Relocation: Polk State College does NOT provide relocation assistance for this position.
- This position will close at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, May 11, 2014.
Polk State College is an equal access/equal opportunity employer, committed to excellence through diversity in education and employment. Polk State College is a drug-free workplace and participates in E-Verify.