Director, Decision Support
This position plans and manages decision support and cost accounting activities for Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC). The Director, Decision Support will be responsible for developing and maintaining cost accounting systems, providing internal controls and reconciliation processes necessary to maintain integrity and consistency of cost accounting system data and methodology, and supporting standard and ad hoc reporting to support operational and executive leadership in program, product line, and procedural analysis.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Coordinate cost accounting activities with operations, entity finance, revenue and reimbursement and financial planning and analysis.
- Establish and maintain labor and non-labor cost standards in coordination with clinical operations and operational finance. Support the development of a "flexible" labor budget that will allow for accurate variance analysis of labor expenditures and staffing levels associated with fluctuations in clinical volumes.
- Perform overhead cost "step down" calculations and prepare reports that explain overhead variances an periodically assess methodologies and refine for improvements.
- Analyze direct and indirect costs to determine proper allocation for recording cost elements.
- Provide revenue modeling, contracting assessment, underpayment tracking and reimbursement analysis support to various VUMC areas.
- Develop and improvement methods of calculating costs while compiling cost data for use in developing budgets.
- Create and supervise the preparation of comparative analysis of the relative performance of various operating service lines in order to support management in effective decision making regarding the expansion or contracting of various programs and services. Develop and provide cost, volume and rate variance reporting to operating units on a monthly basis.
- Support ad hoc analysis to answer "what if" questions in the development of various planning scenarios.
- Maintain the VUMC cost accounting system to insure that accurate data is captured and disseminated.
- Analyze and validate the accuracy of the distribution of labor, material and overhead charges and recommend changes to improve accuracy.
- Supervise and develop decision support staff.
- Maintain an education and training program for staff and users of the system in conjunction with Financial Training.
- Maintain a relationship with primary systems vendor to insure that system remains current and is optimized.
Job requires Bachelor's and 8 years of prior health care finance experience required, with an emphasis on cost accounting or the equivalent.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business or a related field needed. Master's degree in Business, Finance or Health Administration preferred. CPA or CMA license or the equivalent preferred.
Consulting experience or health system experience at the Director level or above highly desired. Strong analytical skills and experience with Allscripts EPSI preferred.
Job Professional and Managerial
Primary Location TN-Nashville-Crystal Terrace
Organization Finance-Decision Support 108532PI75498626