Student Financial Assistance Counselor
Student Financial Assistance Counselor
Holy Names University
Holy Names University in Oakland, CA, is pleased to announce a search for a Student Financial Assistance Counselor, to be assumed immediately. Our vision is to educate leaders for positive social change through service. Qualified candidates will demonstrate an understanding of the core values of Holy Names University (hospitality, social justice, human development, and service) and higher education reflective of the Catholic intellectual tradition.
POSITION AND DUTIES
The Student Financial Assistance Counselor assists students in determining the affordability of obtaining education through financial aid, loans, and payment options. Performs the financial award process, needs analysis, counseling, financial aid follow-up, and aid reporting. Support new enrollments and retain enrolled students.
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Awards and revises financial aid for students within federal, state and institutional guidelines.
• Follows up for income documentation for federal verification.
• Accesses and consults resources on financial aid issues and policies through attending internal and external training sessions. Utilizes the Federal Student Financial Aid websites, COD, WebGrants, and other resources to ensure accuracy and compliance.
• Evaluates unusual/mitigating circumstance documentation or information provided by the student; exercises judgment by making adjustments or revisions to costs, contribution, need, or dependency status as exceptions to the prescribed process.
• Meets regularly with the Professional Judgment Committee to ensure consistency and accuracy in considering special circumstances.
• Answers questions, inquiries, or requests from students, parents, or guardians in person or in writing regarding financial aid programs and eligibility.
• Assists in the preparation of and presents information regarding federal financial aid, scholarships, employment and grants for various campus groups, high school students, and parents at meetings, group discussions, workshops, and recruitment sessions.
• Analyzes various system-generated reports such as grades and enrollment status or award status to verify continued compliance and eligibility of students receiving aid under federal and institutional guidelines; notifies students of changes in eligibility of awards and alternatives to amend the situation.
• Assists in the maintenance and development of the financial aid policy and procedure manual.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
• Bachelor’s degree required in Business Administration, Accounting, Public Administration, Humanities or other related field. Master’s degree preferred.
Minimum of two years’ experience in financial aid, student counseling, or related experience.
• Experience and knowledge of Powerfaids a plus.
• Experience working in deadline-driven environments while effectively managing multiple assignments.
• Ability to work under pressure with accuracy and consistency.
• Ability to monitor and meet departmental goals.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a team, as well as an independent contributor.
• Self-starter with a positive attitude and mature demeanor.
• Assists with other financial aid activities such as outreach, reporting and monitoring. • Knowledge of government, donor and/or institutional rules, regulations, guidelines, and procedures for awarding of financial aid.
• Strong skills in both verbal and written communication.
This position may require a background screen. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a background screen.
This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Director of Student Financial Assistance.
Founded in 1868, Holy Names University is one of Oakland’s first institutions, the oldest Catholic University in the East Bay, and one of the most diverse universities in the United States. A coeducational, liberal arts institution of 1,400 total students, HNU offers the degrees of Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Music, Master of Arts, Master of Business Administration, Master of Education, Master of Music, and Master of Science in Nursing. Holy Names University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
For consideration, applicants should submit the Holy Names University Employment Application. Visit: http://www.hnu.edu/communityVisitors/employment.html to download the Employment Application. After you have downloaded and completed the application, save and/or print the file and include a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
The preferred method for submitting your application materials is via email@example.com
Applications are currently being accepted and the position is open until filled.
For additional information about Holy Names University, visit www.hnu.edu
Holy Names University, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to excellence through diversity.