Campus Safety Officer
Campus Safety Officer
Supervise after-hours student patrol staff in routine operations and priority or emergency response situations. Provide vehicle and foot patrols of campus. Respond to observations and/or complaints of criminal activity and complete related written reports. Provide first responder medical aid. Perform fire safety equipment and alarm system inspections and initiate repairs as necessary. Contribute to campus safety by providing vehicle escorts and various crime prevention measures. Interact professionally and efficiently with Tacoma Police and Fire personnel. Enforce campus parking regulations.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Perform regular vehicle and foot patrols
- Respond to criminal activity (or to reports of) and to first-aid level medical needs of campus community
- Complete related documentation of reports
- Communicate effectively with two-way radio
- Campus parking enforcement
- Provide fire and burglar alarm response and investigation
- Supervise and informally evaluate on-duty student staff
- Manage and participate in routine shift duties or assignments
- Inspect fire safety and burglar alarm equipment
- Provide safety escort service in vehicle and on foot for campus population
- Complete daily assignments to support department
- Supervise on-duty student patrol staff in the following ways: Distribute work and guide priorities, train staff, review and approve work including written reports, assist with performance reviews, issue oral and written recommendations, and recommend corrective action.
- AA degree or equivalent related 2 years work experience in security services. College campus experience preferred.
- CPR and First Aid
- Washington state drivers license
- Ability to work independently, and confront others in a professional and polite manner
- Physically capable to run and defend self or others
- Must be able to carry/drag heavy objects
- Frequently lifting/carrying up to (but not limited)1-10 pounds
- Being exposed to wet/humid conditions and changing temperatures for extended periods
- Must act quickly and accurately
- Must have ability to be effective on a grave yard shift
- Must use campus resources to find creative solutions to problems
- Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions
Compensation and Benefits: Decisions about starting salaries are made based on the extent and relatedness of the candidate's education and experience and on internal equity and market considerations.
This position is non-exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/offices--services/human-resources/overview-of-university-benefit/.
Application Deadline: Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified. Interested individuals are encouraged to submit application materials no later than April 18, 2014 to ensure consideration.
You will be prompted to upload all required documents as one file titled "Required documents." Please combine all required documents shown below into one Word or PDF file. Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered.
- Letter of Interest
All offers of employment are contingent on successful comp
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit "About Puget Sound" (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about) to learn more about the college.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit:
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA