Full-Tme Instructor Economics
FULL-TIME INSTRUCTOR ECONOMICS (Recruitment Extended)
Application Deadline: 5:00 pm on April 25, 2014
$56,841.00 - $87,280.00/Annual
This job opening is for a full time-tenure track professor of Economics. The Economics department is one of fifteen departments within the Business and Humanities Social Sciences division, the largest division in Cerritos College. The department offers transferable courses for economics, business, accounting and other related majors. Aside from offering an Associate Degree in economics, the department provides a variety of courses that stimulate student interest in the discipline and takes pride in the quality and clarity of instruction. The broad aim of the department is to render the subject relevant to the everyday lives of the diverse student body. Successful candidate will use creative teaching strategies to teach the following courses at the community college level: Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Economic Policy and Issues, Women in the Global Economy, and Money, Ethics and Economic Justice. Furthermore a successful candidate will assess and analyze student performance and participate in curriculum development.
Duties & Responsibilities
A description of faculty duties and responsibilities may be found in Board Policy and Administrative Procedure 4005. (www.cerritos.edu/board)
Master’s degree in Economics or the equivalent. (All qualifying educational degrees/training must be from accredited colleges and/or universities.)
Understanding of and sensitivity to meeting the needs of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic background of the student, community, and employee population.
• A Ph.D. in economics.
• A background in macroeconomic and microeconomic theory, economic history, political economy, ecological/environmental economics or international economics.
• Demonstrates the ability to creatively communicate significant economic theories, ideas, and interpretations effectively and relate these to relevant current events.
• Demonstrates willingness to employ new and innovative technologies, including teaching online.
• A commitment to community college objectives of providing instruction for students whose abilities and interests cover a wide range.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Salary rate is: $56,841.00 - $87,280.00/annual.
Health and welfare benefits include District contribution for medical/dental/vision benefits and employee life insurance ($50,000). (Cash-in-lieu option available on medical insurance.)
Participation in the State Teachers’ Retirement System.
Conditions of Employment
Contract will be for 10 school months for the academic year beginning Fall Semester 2014.
Participation in a pre-service orientation and/or probationary in- service training is required.
Individuals who are offered employment shall be required to obtain fingerprints for a criminal history clearance through the State Department of Justice and remit the required fee for processing the fingerprints, submit official transcripts, produce an original social security card, and submit negative TB test results (must be within the past four years or within the last 60 days if not previously employed in a school district in California) before they are hired.
Interested applicants must submit:
• Letter of application indicating how you meet each of the required qualifications for this position to include, but not be limited to, information on the following:
- Contributions to the profession
- Related experience/accomplishments
- Professional/personal development (workshops, diversity sensitivity training, etc.)
• Completed District Academic Employment application form.
• Completed Supplemental Questionnaire .
• Résumé of educational background and experience.
• Copies of all transcript(s) (need not be official) verifying all educational degree(s) and/or coursework required for the position. A foreign transcript must be evaluated by a NACES-certified agency. The web site address is www.naces.org.
• Three letters of recommendation addressing recent professional experience.
• The names, phone numbers and e-mail address of three work references to include at least one supervisor.
ALL ABOVE MATERIALS ARE TO BE SUBMITTED TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:
Human Resources Department
11110 Alondra Blvd.
Norwalk, CA 90650-6298
This position is open until filled, but the priority date for receipt of application materials to be considered in the initial selection committee review is 5:00 PM on April 25, 2014. The position may close for consideration of application materials on the above priority date or any time thereafter, and interested persons are encouraged to submit their application and supporting materials so that they are received not later than 5:00 PM on April 25, 2014. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all application materials are received. Applicants who need special services or facilities due to disability in order to apply or interview for this position must notify Human Resources at least 72 hours prior to the priority closing date or the date(s) of interview.
Following the closing date, application materials will be evaluated by a selection committee. Candidates selected for further consideration will be limited to those applicants in the competitive group who best meet the qualifications for the position. Interviews will then be conducted by the selection committee, and finalists will be recommended for further consideration by the President- Superintendent for final selection and recommendation for employment. The selection process may also include practical exercises (i.e., teaching demonstration and/or other written, technical, manipulative, or simulation exercises) to evaluate candidates’ qualifications.
1. Do you have a Master’s Degree in Economics ? (Y/N) Describe briefly your area of research.
2. Apart from your area of research, describe any special areas of interest within your discipline. How do you keep current within your field of academic interest?
3. Discuss your teaching experience.
4. What teaching techniques do you use to make economics understandable and fun?
5. Describe any specific strategies that you have used to ensure effective student success?
6. Describe what you would do (or have done) to make higher education more accessible to a diverse student population?
Equal Opportunity Employer
The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal opportunity employment. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and the District shall provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to national origin, religion, age, sex or gender, race, color, medical condition, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, Vietnam-era veteran status, physical or mental disability, or because he or she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. In fact, the college encourages applications from all segments of qualified people.
For application/ additional information:
Telephone: (562) 860-2451 x2284
Human Resources Hours: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Monday through Friday)
Cerritos College employs only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Cerritos College does not provide sponsorship for changes in immigration status for the purpose of employment in the United States. Offers of employment are contingent upon presentation of documents verifying the appointee’s identity and eligibility to work and completion of the required I-9 Form in accordance with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (Public Law 99-603).