Research Program Administrator Manager in Bioscience
KAUST (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology)
Research Program Administrator Manager in Bioscience
Competitive Tax-free Salary
KAUST Seeks Research Program Administrator Manager in Bioscience
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology is an international graduate-level, merit-based research university located on the shores of the Red Sea in Saudi Arabia. Our state-of-the-art campus, globally renowned faculty and brand new facilities come together to provide the ideal setting for significant, high-impact research. KAUST is dedicated to inspiring a new age of scientific achievement in the Kingdom that will also benefit the region and the world.
In consultation with the Manager of Integrative Activities, formulates and implements the goals and priorities related to the scientific, innovation and commercialization needs of the programs and awards under the purview of Office of Competitive Research Funds (OCRF), including Research Services. Reporting to the Manager of Integrative Activities, serves as the team lead for professional level staff and OCRF Bioscience subject matter expert, complementing existing subject matter expertise. Plays a key role in monitoring award and funding program effectiveness through project management, data management, analysis, communication and continuous improvement activities by overseeing the establishment, redefinition, and strengthening of relationships between KAUST and international awardees and collaborators.
Key responsibilities include:
• Manages the establishment, redefinition, and strengthening of relationships between KAUST faculty, awardees, global collaborators, and industry.
• Reviews the analysis of work methods, program functions and processes utilizing qualitative and quantitative techniques to recommend solutions to complex and interpersonal issues related to research collaborations that have impact on the performance of awards.
• Manages the integration of the basic research and engineering activities of awards with the applied research and commercialization activities of KAUST Office of Technology Transfer and Innovation (TTI).
• Serves as Bioscience subject matter expert in selection of peer reviewers and panelists and strategic research program planning and implementation.
• Serves as the primary contact for KAUST faculty and the Research Centers interested in initiating or enhancing collaborative multi-, inter-, and transdisciplinary activities with awardees, global collaborators; and with TTI for commercialization opportunities arising from awards.
• Leads the development of professional development programs and workshops for faculty and post-doctoral fellows related to proposal development and grants management and makes presentations to link the funding programs and awards to research, graduate education, and economic development priorities on the KAUST campus.
• Supports the Director of OCRF with strategic funding program planning and award reporting to KAUST senior management.
• Functions effectively with other management team members and other stakeholders (i.e., Awardees, ORS, Central Finance, Internal Auditor, VPR’s Office) to ensure a collaborative, synergistic team environment and communicates effectively in oral and written form with others in all areas of responsibility. Develops and implements programs, projects, policies and procedures across the Office and KAUST priorities.
• Actively and effectively participates in Office-wide initiatives and priorities by undertaking planning, development, and implementation of long-range plans for cross-cutting activities.
• Participates in management reviews, risk assessment and issues management.
• Leads the organization and planning of workshops, conferences, and seminars that provide information to KAUST faculty on research trends, collaborative research best practice, and proposal preparation.
• Administers effective and efficient funding opportunity competitions as assigned, paying particular attention to increasing the size and quality of the reviewer pool and ensuring participation of relevant and high-quality reviewers.
• Monitors assigned awards and awardees, including reviewing and recommending acceptance of periodic progress reports, prior approval requests, ensuring compliance with award terms and conditions, OCRF procedures and guidelines, and supporting the Office of Research and Evaluation Committees in its site visits and evaluation efforts, where necessary.
To be successful within this role you must have:
• Ph.D in Bioscience and at least seven years of specialized experience which is directly related to the work of this position and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position of which at least one (2) year was as a team lead.
• Knowledge of grants management, both pre- and post-award administration, is highly desirable;
• Experience with a grant funding agency is highly desirable;
• Knowledge of peer-reviewed research funding operations and/or experience with merit-based competitive procurement processes a plus; and
• International experience is a plus.
Specialized experience include but are not limited to experience as a researcher or administrator in a scientific research/university environment developing, tracking, monitoring and reporting on crosscutting research programs and projects and/or administrative programs that support scientific research, analyzing and evaluating data and preparing program data to management; interaction with research and development professionals from industry to plan and facilitate university-industry research collaborations; conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis to analyze work methods; recommending solution to administrative problems and issues; and communicating procedural information for program support; demonstrated success in drafting scientific reports for journal publication and research proposals for agency funding; experience as a peer reviewer of manuscripts submitted to scientific journals and research proposals submitted to funding agencies; formal experience in course design and lecturing or conducting technical training in a university or professional work environment.
In addition to providing world-class facilities and living conditions, a competitive employment package and the opportunity to work within an ambitious and growing University are offered to the successful candidate.
To be considered for this exciting role, please visit our website http://www.kaust.edu.sa and apply directly through the Employment webpage.
The Office of Competitive Research Funds (OCRF) (formerly Global Collaborative Research) was established to implement and support KAUST’s research strategy and priorities. OCRF is responsible for all internal competitive research funding programs , including the broad funding programs directed towards individual PIs, multidisciplinary groups of PI’s, Research Center competitive funding, equipment funding, as well as funding for KAUST-hosted conferences and workshops. http://ocrf.kaust.edu.sa