Director, Counseling and Testing Center
About Western Kentucky University:
Western Kentucky University aspires to be the University of choice for faculty and staff who are dedicated to helping advance academic excellence. True to its spirit, WKU offers an inviting, nurturing, and challenging work environment, which is responsive to the needs of a diverse and ambitious learning community. WKU's main campus is located on a hill overlooking the city of Bowling Green (population est. 60,000), and is acclaimed as one of the most beautiful in the nation. We invite you to consider WKU as a place where your academic and professional dreams can be realized.
Western Kentucky University’s Division of Student Affairs, Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, invites applicants for Director, Counseling and Testing Center (CTC). The University seeks an individual skilled as both an administrator and practitioner to provide leadership for a Center offering comprehensive services, individual and group counseling, and educational programming to Western Kentucky University students and crisis intervention and consultation within the University community. Additionally, the Center is a primary training site for the University’s graduate program in clinical psychology and provides a broad range of testing services to the University and surrounding community.
The Director is responsible for sustaining critical interactions and working collaboratively with other units on campus including, but not limited to, the Department of Housing and Residence Life, Office of Judicial Affairs, University Police Department, Health Services, Office of Student Disability Services, Center for Career and Professional Development, Regional Campuses, Office of Student Activities, Leadership, and Volunteerism, and the Division of Academic Affairs.
This position reports directly to the Vice President for Student Affairs. This is a twelve-month, full-time position and the successful candidate will serve as a senior staff member within the Division of Student Affairs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides day-to-day leadership to the CTC
- Develops and executes short- and long-term vision and strategic goals
- Oversees the Center’s clinical services, educational outreach, and consultation services
- Oversees fiscal and budgetary administration
- Provides supervision to counseling center staff and practicum students
- Provides culturally sensitive psychological services to students
- Oversees and provides guidance for testing services provided by the Center’s Testing Coordinator
- Serves as liaison for the counseling center with the Division of Student Affairs and the University community
- Coordinates training/prevention education within the campus community
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Ph.D., Ed.D., or Psy.D. in Counselor Education, Counseling or Clinical Psychology, or a closely related discipline
- Licensed or licensure eligible in the State of Kentucky within 12-months of employment
- Five (5) years of post-doctoral work experience in a clinical and/or counseling setting with at least one (1) year in a clinical and/or administrative supervisory capacity
- Competency with differential diagnosis and use of DSM
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Ability to plan, direct, and evaluate a complex operation within a University setting
- Ability to provide supervisory and administrative guidance for a diverse staff
- Ability to work independently on tasks
- Ability to plan and organize tasks with a keen attention to detail
- Ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner
- Clinical experience addressing suicide risk assessment and intervention, crisis response and intervention, case management, care coordination, and working with high risk/high acuity clients
- Commitment to developing an APA accredited pre-doctoral internship program
- Strong generalist clinical skills and interdisciplinary collaboration
- Ability to provide quality and culturally-sensitive clinical services
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated excellent oral, written, listening skills, and technological communication skills
- Outstanding educational outreach and presentation skills
- Experience with common office equipment, common office technological equipment, and software
- Willingness to work evening and weekends
Salary is regionally competitive and based upon education and experience.
The WKU Counseling and Testing Center was accredited in 2009 through the International Association of Counseling Services. Additional information about the Center’s programs, outreach activities, and staff members can be found at the following hyperlink: http://www.wku.edu/heretohelp/. Information about the city of Bowling Green and surrounding counties is available at this link: http://www.bgky.org.
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, veteran status, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify The Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services at (270) 745 - 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.
All applications and resumes must be submitted through this online electronic talent management system. Only those individuals who submit all required materials will be considered as eligible applicants. We invite you to submit a cover letter describing your qualifications as related to this position. You will receive email notification confirming your application materials have been received. Review of application materials will begin on April 3, 2014.PI74746135