Assistant Professor, Physical Education (Emphasis in Football)
Assistant Professor, Physical Education (Emphasis in Football)
Physical Education: Contract Instructor (Mesa College)
The salary range for this Assistant Professor level position is $5,329.73 – $6,803.29 per month. Note that all new faculty hired by the SDCCD start at the Assistant Professor level. The highest monthly base starting salary would be $6,803.29 with a PhD. Overload assignments are paid based on contract parity using the Adjunct/Overload College Classroom and Non-Classroom, Schedules B and C. Salary placement is based solely upon education and experience as outlined in the AFT Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement, and it is non-negotiable. Annual Salaries will be recalculated for service less than a full academic year based on Education Code §87815, any required adjustment will be made on the first pay period. Travel reimbursement for interviewees traveling more than 200 miles, one-way, will be paid according to geographic location (see SDCCD Travel Stipend Policy, Rev 7/14/2011). Assistant Professors may earn tenure after 4 years and promote to Associate Professor.
With promotions through Associate and Professor levels based upon mastery in the field, teaching of that knowledge, a PhD or equivalent, successful evaluations and tenure track experience, the top range would be $11,086.15. For further information, please visit the SDCCD Employment Web Page which provides a link to AFT Collective Bargaining Agreement and more information about terms and conditions of employment which includes salary, benefits and comprehensive rules for salary placement and advancement.
Position Equivalent FTE: 100%
Job Duration: 10
Position Number: 001752
FLSA Status: Exempt (does not accrue overtime)
Bargaining Unit: AFT/College Faculty
Position Type: Academic
Department: Physical Education
Message from Mesa College President, Pamela Luster: San Diego Mesa College seeks energetic and dedicated candidates to apply for faculty positions. The college is committed to academic excellence and diversity, equity and inclusion among its faculty, staff and students. As the largest college in the San Diego Community College District, the institution enjoys a solid financial standing, and has prioritized resources to hire new faculty, support professional development and encourage teaching innovation. Celebrating our 50th Anniversary in 2014, we are building a solid foundation for the next 50 years by adding new faculty who alongside our stellar current faculty will lead us into the future. If this opportunity sounds like the right fit for you, I encourage you to file an application for employment expressing your interest.
Applications are now being accepted for the position of Assistant Professor, Physical Education, with an emphasis in Head Coach for Football assignment beginning Fall 2014. Assignment may include day, evening and/or Saturday classes. Note: This pool may be used to fill identical vacancies that may occur during the academic year.
The Assistant Professor, Physical Education position reports to the Dean, School of Physical Education, Health Education and Athletics. The primary teaching responsibilities will be physical education, health education, fitness specialist, and/or other classes within the department as needed. Other professional assignments will include teaching, committee responsibilities, curriculum development, community outreach and other related duties as required or assigned. The coaching responsibilities will include leadership and direction for the Football team, monitoring of student athletes’ academic progress, preparation of the football budget, requesting appropriate transportation, arranging intercollegiate schedules, attending athletic department and Southern California Football Conference, American Division, Mountain Conference meetings, promoting the Football program within San Diego County with high school coaches and athletes, recruiting student athletes, participating in athletic department public relations and fundraising projects.
Degrees must be from regionally accredited institutions
1. Master’s degree in physical education, exercise science, education with an emphasis in physical education, kinesiology, physiology of exercise, or adaptive physical education; OR,
2. Bachelor’s degree in any of the above AND Master’s degree in any life science, dance, physiology, health education, recreation administration, or physical therapy; OR,
3. The equivalent; OR,
4. Possession of a California Community College Instructor Credential (valid for life) in Physical Education
Equivalency: If you do not possess the exact degrees listed in 1. or 2. above, or if you anticipate receiving the required degree prior to the start of the assignment, please complete a “Request for Equivalency Form” available from the SDCCD Employment Opportunities Web page (https://www.sdccdjobs.com). You will need to complete and upload this form with your on-line application.
The successful candidate will have:
• Academic preparation and teaching experience in physical education, health education, and/or fitness specialist.
• Academic preparation and teaching experience in football theory classes.
• Coaching experience in football at high school level or above.
• Knowledge and/or experience in designing offensive and defensive schemes.
• Experience in organizing and conducting a successful recruiting program at the college level.
• Experience in developing and monitoring a budget.
• Knowledge and/or experience in designing strength and conditioning programs.
• Involvement in professional organizations and continuing education.
• Experience working with a multi cultural, multi ethnic community with individuals of varied socioeconomic backgrounds.
• A California Class ”B” Driver’s License or willingness to obtain one prior to the coaching season.
Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
CPR/AED & First Aid certifications are recommended.
[If possess] California Community College Instructor Credential in Physical Education (valid for life)
Commitment to Diversity: All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Variable, depending on assignment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To ensure full consideration, qualified candidates must submit a complete Online Application that includes the items listed (extraneous material will not be reviewed). References to résumés or other uploaded documents within the Online Application will be considered an “incomplete” application; please enter “N/A” if any section does not apply.
1. Complete Online Application (which includes Supplemental Questions)
2. Résumé (or Curriculum Vitae) emphasizing coaching experience, education, training and abilities directly related to the position
3. Undergraduate and Graduate Transcripts
Note: Transcripts from multiple colleges/universities may need to be scanned as one document, then uploaded.
4. (If applicable)
REQUEST FOR EQUIVALENCY FORM: Link to the form is available from the SDCCD Employment Opportunities Web page at https://www.sdccdjobs.com
[If applicable] FOREIGN DEGREE EVALUATION (NACES-approved): Information available from the SDCCD Employment Opportunities Web page at https://www.sdccdjobs.com
[If applicable] LICENSES/CERTIFICATES/CREDENTIALS: Any applicable documentation
Important: To ensure consistency and fairness to all candidates, please do not submit materials other than those requested (i.e., personal photo, articles you’ve written, etc). Please only upload requested documents using respective document name labels. Uploading extraneous materials, unless specifically requested within this posting, may result in your application not being reviewed. Only complete application packets will be forwarded to the committee.
Application materials sent via mail, fax, or e-mail will not be accepted.
Note that correspondence, including interview invitations, will be sent to you via e-mail.
Conditions of Employment:
SELECTED CANDIDATE IS REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT:
• Submit “official” transcripts
• Pass a pre-employment physical exam at the candidate’s expense
• Provide a Certificate of Tuberculosis Exam for initial appointment (Note: The certificate must be renewed every 4 years as a condition of continuing employment)
• Have fingerprints taken by a Live Scan computer at the candidate’s expense (Clearance must be received prior to first day of employment)
• Present original documents for proof of eligibility to work in the United States
• Attend a new hire processing appointment in Human Resources located at the District Administrative Offices
SDCCD provides a comprehensive fringe benefit package for its full-time academic employees. The District contributes toward the cost of the premium (including dependent coverage) for the medical insurance plan options. Additional benefits include dental, vision, sick leave, vacation and opportunities for professional development. Contract employees become members of the State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS) upon appointment.
Please note that an employee may be transferred to any site at the option of the Chancellor.
To apply, visit: http://www.sdccdjobs.com/postings/4586