Film/TV Production Instructor
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Film/TV Production Instructor
Announcement #: 14-110
Campus: De Anza College
Required Documents: Resume, Transcript(s), Required Supplemental Documents, Other
Number of Working Months: 10 Months
Salary: $53,730.00 - $88,243.00 annually
Close Date: 4/29/14
Employment Duration: Full-Time
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Film/TV Production Instructor, De Anza College.
De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world.
De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college’s Institutional Core Competencies:
• Communication and expression
• Information literacy
• Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
• Global, cultural, social and environmental awareness
• Critical thinking
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
Teach introductory, intermediate and advanced sections of production courses for fiction and nonfiction film, including digital video production, directing, lighting, cinematography, sound and studio TV production. Teach additional courses in Film/TV such as Current Practices and Role of the Producer. Maintain and support the CTE (Career Technical Education) vocational program in the Film/TV Department.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include developing and evaluating curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors ensure the success of students through effective use and understanding of multicultural and multiethnic materials, pedagogies, forms of assessment and feedback techniques. Instructors also have the opportunity to serve on district and college committees and participate in campus extra-curricular activities. Faculty members also develop, refine and assess Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs).
• Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
• Master’s degree in radio, television, film, mass communication or communication, journalism OR Bachelor’s in any of the above AND Master’s in drama/theater arts, communication, communication studies, business, telecommunications or English OR the equivalent.
• Advanced degree in film or television with production emphasis.
• Professional production experience in film and/or video.
• Expertise in the script-to-production filmmaking process with at least one craft specialty in camera/lighting or sound. Experience in visual effects/interactive media also desirable.
• Teaching experience in a multicultural setting at a community college, college or university.
• Experience developing and writing Film/TV curriculum.
• Experience developing inclusive and effective culturally responsive classroom activities.
In addition, successful candidates will demonstrate:
• The ability to organize and communicate course content for a range of entry-level to post-graduate students.
• The ability to design and apply varied teaching strategies to successfully engage, inspire and retain students with diverse backgrounds and learning styles.
• The ability to work in a collegial manner with a diverse faculty and staff.
• Vision regarding the mission and educational philosophy of De Anza College and its pursuit of innovation and excellence.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Indoor, office environment.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
• Vision sufficient to read various materials.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
• Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
• Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
• Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
• Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
• A District on-line application to be completed at https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH17/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=FHDA&cws=1&rid=892
*In the application, you will provide information that demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
• A cover letter (limited to two typed pages) detailing your qualifications, areas of expertise in film/TV production, and skills and abilities as they relate to the position.
• A current résumé of all formal education, training and work experience; college-level courses taught; screenings and awards; and a list of three current references and contact information.
• A supplemental document that lists De Anza College Film/TV courses you are qualified and prepared to teach in this discipline.
• A link to a website showcasing your professional films/videos (limit selections/demo reel to 10 minutes); include link on the top portion of your resume.
• All undergraduate and graduate college transcripts scanned in Word or PDF format. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company, and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant’s expense.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not meet minimum qualifications), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://fhdafiles.fhda.edu/downloads/employment2/Equivalency.doc
We do not accept JPEG or other file formats for transcripts. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates must submit transcripts. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain and submit transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company, and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant’s expense.
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application materials. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date.
HIRING RANGE: $53,730.00 - $88,243.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant’s verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to: http://fhdafiles.fhda.edu/downloads/personnel/20132016FASalarySchedules.pdf
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Faculty are also eligible for paid sabbatical leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2014
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
This position will become Open Until Filled after the initial Closing Date. Any complete applications received while the position is Open Until Filled will be reviewed by the hiring committee only upon committee request.
To view full job description or to apply, visit: https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH17/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=FHDA&cws=1&rid=892