Director, International Services
Location: Chicago, IL
Office Building/Campus: Chicago- 350 Orleans
Home Department: International Initiatives
Position Type: Staff Position
Founded in 2009, TCS Education System is a nonprofit enterprise built on the premise that business success and social impact need not be mutually exclusive. Operating as an efficient business with a mission clearly rooted in advancing the greater good, the system includes: a network of specialized institutions that offer an effective approach to higher education; early childhood and K-12 schools that deliver progressive, evidence-based curriculum to change the face of childhood education in our nation; a foundation that attracts charitable contributions to support our schools and their social change endeavors; and more. Our ongoing business success coupled with our social change mission unifies our organization and distinguishes TCS Education System from any other educational system today.
TCS Education System is currently seeking a Director to join the International Services team. This position may function remotely or from the Chicago office.
The Director will be responsible for expanding international services, with a focus on risk mitigation and compliance as it pertains to international activity. This position will be responsible for supporting internationalization efforts by supporting study abroad, faculty exchanges and managing immigration issues related to TCSES schools as well as other international compliance services as required. The Director will be required to stay current on changing regulations and federal policies affecting international services for all campuses and provide timely modalities to educate and support all campuses on evolving regulations. This position will report to the AVP of International Services and will work closely with international admissions and the office of compliance and legal affairs.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Acting as primary contact with officials from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Department of State (DOS) and related agencies (SEVP, USCIS), and international legal counsel.
- Overseeing Student and Exchange Visitor Information Service (SEVIS) related approval and compliance for 5 graduate schools.
- Conducting immigration training for all new Designated School Officials (DSOs) and Alternate Responsible Officers (AROs) and oversee international services at all campuses.
- Initiating I-17 and supported federal requirements to apply for Department of Homeland Security designation for eligible campuses to sponsor international students in non-immigrant F-1 and J-1 visa status.
- Maintaining schedule and secure applicable data for F-1 I-17 recertification and J-1 redesignation as necessary for all eligible campuses.
- Training counselors on international students and scholars advising including immigration, financial, employment, tax, academic, adjustment, health insurance, and personal issues.
- Monitoring and maintaining student records & the University’s compliance with regulations and perform regular audits to confirm compliance.
- Partnering with Student Management Services on retention efforts.
- Acting as a liaison to all eligible campuses to create and implement study abroad, faculty exchange and other international initiatives.
- Assisting with assessing program safety and risk management for all eligible campuses, and implements and supports ongoing risk management measures including, but not limited to, insurance, contractual agreements and institutional policy and procedure development.
- Developing and maintaining internationally-related resource materials for all eligible campuses.
- Maintaining enterprise standards for university sponsored international programs.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Vice President of International Services.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including demonstrated experience communicating effectively with people from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Articulate, organized, dynamic, and enthusiastic team player with excellent organizational and management skills.
- Strong critical thinking, reasoning, and decision making skills, along with time management skills.
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently and anticipate needs for department.
- Master’s degree required in higher education, student affairs or related field required.
- All candidates must be lawful citizen or permanent resident of United States, in accordance with DHS requirement to access SEVIS immigration system.
- Five to seven years of direct experience advising international students on immigration status required, including direct experience working in SEVIS database and extensive knowledge on F-1 and J-1 student visa process required.
- Five or more years liaising with Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and subsidiaries; Immigration and Customs Enforcements (ICE) and Customs and Border Patrol (CBP), as well as experience working with other related federal agencies required.
- Experience establishing and managing faculty-led study abroad programs.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state regulations and requirements related to international student visa status. Ability to apply and adapt policies and procedures to achieve specific outcomes.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (i.e., Outlook, Excel, Word), CampusVue.
TCS Education System offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
For more information about TCS Education System and our affiliates visit www.tcsedsystem.edu
TCS Education System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.