Accountant - Business Office (S060)
The Staff Accountant under direct supervision of the Accounting Operations Manager will be the primary person responsible for directing the activities responsible for ensuring the monthly close in three business days and year-end closes in a timely manner. Additionally, this person will be responsible for the day-to-day review, completion and posting of complex journal entries. This person is the Business Office subject matter expert (SME) as it relates to GAAP, NACUBO and must have the ability to query data and answer questions, inquiries and issues in a timely manner from the Executive Director of Finance and CFO. The Staff Accountant verifies the accuracy and validity of complex posting and accounting transactions; prepares entries to correct accounting errors, performs analytical reviews and maintains detail trial balances.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance.
- CPA, CMA or equivalent professional experience required.
- Master’s in Accounting, MBA and CISA and/or other certifications preferred.
- PeopleSoft 9.0 Finance Training
- 8 – 10 years of demonstrated knowledge and accounting experience for a not-for-profit and/or higher education (fund accounting) institutions
- Strong technical skills with the ability to query data in PeopleSoft nVision and complete monthly financial reporting by assigned critical deadlines.
- 3+ years hands-on experience and demonstrated knowledge of ERP systems; PeopleSoft Finance module preferred.
- 1 - 3 years knowledge and understanding of Trusts and Annuities; 116, 117 and Fund Accounting and Expenses
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Effectively manage the monthly, quarterly, and yearly close of APU’s financial accounts.
- Review, approve and post daily journal entries in a timely manner
- Create and maintain APU financial calendar to inform parties of necessary deadline adherence for the following processes: financial close, board meetings, external audit preparation.
- Prepare and posts journals which may include consolidations and eliminations.
- Assist in preparing monthly, quarterly financial reporting to external sources by assigned deadlines
- Maintains accurate check management records. Oversees research of outstanding items ensuring that correcting entries are prepared.
- Complete the journal entries to the individual for income and expenses related to the beneficiary payments for trust and annuities
- Monthly review of transactions recorded to the financial statements to ensure accurate reporting
- Provide support and guidance to the Business Office and partnering with external departments in the areas of financial reporting, accounting services and compliance reports as it applies to higher education.
- Monitor and ensure timely identification and compliance with evolving accounting guidance, provide US GAAP interpretation and prepare technical memorandums that document issues in a clear, logical and comprehensive manner
- Communicate and explain complex accounting issues and evolving accounting guidance to the management team
- Keep informed of new development areas in regards to non-profit accounting
- Assist in the coordination of annual audit and quarterly review activities of external auditors
- Prepare the SAS 116 and SAS 117, fund accounting calculations and ensure compliance with technical support including due diligence and preparation of purchase accounting
- Assist in performing continuous assessment of the “monthly close process” and process re-engineering to continue reducing the timing to close the financial period
- Participate in other projects as required by senior management.
- Perform other duties outside the scope of the job description and as required by the supervisor
- Member of NACUBO
- Regular, punctual attendance as required by the supervisor based on department needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Advanced skills and experience in accounting principles and practices as they relate to recording and reporting financial transactions in a higher educational environment
- Excellent organizational and group problem solving skills and knowledge of US GAAP and higher education rules and regulations is required combined with the ability to research and propose company positions on complex accounting issues
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills working with Business Office Directors, Managers and staff, Executive Director of Finance and CFO
- Higher education fund accounting and issue recognition experience;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, high-production environment, with multiple interruptions and manage well through ambiguity and complexity in meeting critical deadlines with excellent accuracy
- Ability to execute and follow-through to completion in a very timely manner and provide detailed documentation with minimal oversight.
- Complex problem solving and strong conflict resolution skills
- Requires in-depth experience in keyboard and 10 key work
- Able to prioritize and multi-task various concurrent duties/responsibilities and special projects to ensure timely and accurate completion
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage details and follow through.
- Must be collaborative and an effective team member and team builder.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Ability to work under pressure and meeting critical financial reporting deadlines every month, quarter and end of year with occasional evening and weekend overtime.
- High degree of confidence and integrity in the monitoring and completing of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting deadlines
- Intermittent sitting and standing
- Able to lift up 20 lbs.
- Able to lift, pull, grasp, bend and reach
- Must be able to climb a flight of stairs multiple times daily to access office
- Working overtime and evenings on occasion.
- Computer monitor and reading.
- Pleasant but fast-paced, high-volume production environment, comfortable temperature
- Multiple conversations and transactions occurring simultaneously.
- Familiar with PeopleSoft Financials 9.0, nVision, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google Apps.
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.