Information Tech Specialist 4
Working Title: Web Application Server Administrator, Linux Team
Job Summary/Essential Functions:
This position is a Linux Web Application Server / System Administrator who will be responsible for supporting Enterprise Web Application Servers / Systems at Eastern Washington University Cheney and satellite campuses. This person will be a member of a dynamic team of system administrators who are responsible for the design, implementation and support of our Linux/Unix Enterprise environment. Duties will involve design, documentation, hands on installation of new equipment\applications, enhancing and streamlining existing applications, replacing and restructuring of legacy systems, providing quality assurance and will deliver analysis of data and systems for the University. This environment will rely heavily upon virtualization technologies. Utilizing established work methods and innovative approaches, this position will apply technical systems understanding to evaluate and resolve complex tasks for the Office of Information Technology. Overall this position will be responsible for Web Application Server engineering, system administration, quality assurance, developing and enhancing existing critical support systems and servers, integrating these technologies with business needs, maintenance and complex troubleshooting of EWU technology environment.
Conditions of Employment:
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt or, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value. Successful applicant will be required to pass a background check for continued employment.
This is an agency shop position.
Required Degree: Bachelor's
Degree required by: Date of application
Required Discipline(s) for Degree: Bachelor's degree in an information technology discipline or Information Systems Management degree. Experience may be substituted for degree.
Screening to Begin: 03-21-2014
Special Instructions to Applicants:
1. Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required minimum qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2. Attach a chronological resume including work experience, education, and applicable certifications. Please include the names, addresses and phone numbers for 3 professional references in your resume.
3. Complete the online application form and respond to the online questions.
% Full Time: 100
Term of Appointment: 12
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (M,T,W,F)
12:00 PM - 9:00 PM (Th)
Plus occasional weekend / evening hours for system upgrades / outages.
Requirement #1 - Must possess and have comprehensive experience managing, deploying and administering enterprise Linux/Unix Systems and Services in a Data Center Environment.
Requirement #2 - Comprehensive experience in the areas of web application server administration with one or more of the following:
- Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS)
- WebLogic/Oracle Internet Application Server (OAS/IAS)
- Apache Web Server configured with PHP, Perl, etc.
- Apache Tomcat, Oracle Glassfish, or other Java Web Container
- Other mainstream web application server
Requirement #3 - 2+ years of experience in configuring and troubleshooting data source connections.
Requirement #4 - A fundamental understanding of TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL/TLS standards.
Requirement #5 - Must have experience working in enterprise environments with systems supporting 500+ users.
Requirement #6 - Ability to work independently and the ability to prioritize and work multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
Requirement #7 - Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Requirement #8 - Ability to comply with all University policies and standards.
Candidates must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency or diversity.
- RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer or Equivalent certification)
- 3+ years of experience scripting experience with Python, Shell and/or Perl
- 3+ years of deep seated experience with Oracle, Apache, BIND, NFS, MySQL, Active Directory, MSSQL
- 3+ years of Enterprise Experience with web application server administration
Pre-Placement Physical: No
Hearing Test: No
Medical Monitoring Post Hire: No
Protective Equipment: None