Head of the Sci. and Engineering Library Senior Assistant/Associate Librarian
Budget Title: same as above
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Required Qualifications: ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS degree. Minimum of two years'' work experience as a librarian in an academic or research library. Demonstrated ability to provide science reference instruction, consultation and liaison services in an academic setting. Supervisory experience. Experience with collection development in science and engineering. Demonstrated record of ongoing professional development and contribution to meet faculty tenure requirements in a research university. Demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize and meet deadlines. Knowledge of trends in science and scholarly communications in relevant disciplines. Strong analytical, organization, customer service, interpersonal and communications skills. Demonstrated ability to apply existing and emerging technology to new projects/ventures. Ability to work both independently and collegially in a demanding and rapidly changing environment.
Preferred Qualifications: Advanced academic degree in a related discipline in science and engineering. Relevant discipline-specific experience in an academic or research library in a research-intensive environment. Experience with research data management and knowledge of scientific research workflows.
Responsibilities & Requirements: The Stony Brook University Libraries seek a user-oriented and innovative librarian to join the staff of its Science and Engineering Library. Reporting to the Associate Director of Branch Libraries, the Head of the Sciences and Engineering Library, will coordinate a full range of multi-disciplinary reference, research and consultative services for students and faculty in the areas of physical sciences, engineering, and computer sciences. Responsibilities include:
- Manages the Science and Engineering Library.
- Evaluates, selects, and reviews materials and information resources for inclusion in the collection, and manages the collection budget in assigned areas.
- Sets policies, in consultation with other units and the Associate Director of Branch Libraries.
- Oversees all public services including reference, circulation, and reserve.
- Ensures collections, facilities, and technology are maintained to enhance access and appearance.
- Supervises staff supporting these responsibilities.
- Develops strong liaison relationships with faculty and students in units of Science and Engineering and other assigned areas.
- Provides support for e-science initiatives, including data management plans.
- Provides reference and instructional services in-person and via electronic means, including general reference desk service in the Melville Library''s Central Reading Room and research assistance as needed and by appointment.
- Participates in departmental, library-wide, and university faculty committees.
- Actively engages in research, scholarly publications, and service to the profession to meet the standards for promotion and tenure.
- Serves as a subject specialist and library liaison for various science departments such as engineering, biology, geoscience.
Special Notes: This is a tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. **Priority will be given to applications submitted prior to 3/31/2014, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application, cover letter and resume/CV to:
Senior Staff Assistant
Library Director''s Office
Melville Library, Room W-1511
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3300
Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 03/31/2014**, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND EDUCATOR.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Job Category: A) Faculty and Librarian Positions.
Posting Date: 03/02/2014