Research Lab Technician I
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: Under supervision of the Principal Investigator or designee, assists in the development of protocols to execute/perform complex research experiments in: molecular biological, biochemical and animal models.
Conducts research experiments and may oversee and assist in the training of others in:
Genotype transgenic mice, which includes DNA and RNA extraction from mouse tissues, restriction digestion, PCR and gel electrophoresis, assisting in tail cutting, tissue dissection, protein extraction, protein gel electrophoresis and Western blotting.
Writes standard operating procedures, schedules work, analyzes data, writes reports and maintains inventory. Assist with budget/operational aspects of grant/contract proposals. Complies with all safety and infection control standards appropriate to this position. Performs molecular biological, biochemical and morphological experiments. Work with Principal Investigator and other laboratory personnel harmoniously, cooperatively and effectively.
- Perform a variety of laboratory experiments using both routine and special techniques and methods
- Assist in more complex laboratory tasks
- Collect, analyze, and process laboratory samples
- Record results, organize data, and perform basic computations
- Maintain laboratory supplies and equipment
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Ability to perform duties independently
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
Under the supervision of the Principal Investigator or designee
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens. Normal scientific laboratory conditions, may work with hazardous materials and unpleasant odors.
Physical Requirements: Manual dexterity to handle potentially hazardous chemicals and/or cleaners; visual acuity to perform duties safely in a scientific laboratory. Physical dexterity to lift up to 30 lbs. articles. Must be able to carry out the essential functions of this position, with reasonable accommodation if disabled.