Research Associate I
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
A Research Associate position is immediately available at the University of Massachusetts Medical School within the Neurology Department.
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator or designee, the Research Associate I performs a variety of complex research experiments.
The person is expected to work on the identification of therapeutic compounds for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and frontotemporal dementia with GGGGCC repeat expansions using patient-specific induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs).
- Perform complex laboratory experiments
- Conduct in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Interpret data, form conclusions, and decide on and plan the next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
- Compile and analyze data. Perform computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
- May assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals
- Assist in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Review literature
- Train new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in the Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 3 years of relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
May functionally supervise aides, technicians, and associates
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.