DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT FOR THE CONNECTICUT INSTITUTE FOR RESILIENCE AND CLIMATE ADAPTATION
The University of Connecticut (UCONN) seeks applicants for the position of Director of Community Engagement (DCE) for the Connecticut Institute for Resilience and Climate Adaptation (CIRCA). The CIRCA is a collaboration between the University of Connecticut and the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) which will engage the world¿class and multi-disciplinary research and outreach capabilities of UCONN to address the needs of the State and its communities in identifying and adapting to the most serious impacts of climate change. The Institute will work directly with communities along Connecticut’s coast and inland waterways to enhance the resilience of the natural and human environment. The DCE will work with a team of outreach and extension professionals from across the University to develop relationships with community leaders in at risk communities, state policy makers and relevant state, local and regional organizations to solicit their input into the work of the Institute and to ensure the dissemination of information developed by the CIRCA faculty and staff. The DCE will report to the Institute’s Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The DCE, reporting to the Executive Director of CIRCA, will be responsible for the coordination and execution of the outreach and extension activities of the Institute. This will include:
- Building strong working relationships with state and local governments, state, local and regional organizations and other academic institutions;
- Developing programs for the public, government leaders, and municipal officials;
- Informing the Executive Director, Associate Directors and Institute research staff of constituency needs and priorities;
- Maintaining a working knowledge of issues and significant developments and trends in climate science, mitigation efforts and adaptation strategies;
- Interacting with the research and outreach communities to raise funds from government, private and industry sources for applied research and outreach activities.
- Master's degree in Environmental Science, Engineering or Ocean Policy (or a closely related area);
- At least four years’ experience required in government, academia or with an environmental advocacy organization developing and executing outreach programs to government leaders, municipal officials and the public;
- Communication skills that are effective with a broad range of constituencies;
- Experience in organizing meetings, making presentations and the development of reports;
- An understanding of science, policy and technology, and challenges in the area of the Institute’s mission is required;
- Familiarity with software for business and communications.
- Record of success in grant applications;
- Familiarity with Geographic Information Systems technology.
The office will be at the Avery Point campus of UCONN in Groton.
Please apply online using Husky Hire to submit a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. For full consideration, please apply by March 13, 2014. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 PM eastern on April 15, 2014.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.