NETWORK ENGINEER - Tufts Technology Services
Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization dedicated to the strategic planning, implementation, and support of technology products and services that anticipate and meet the academic, research, and business needs of the Tufts community. TTS offers technical leadership and services to our customers with a focus on providing innovative solutions, delivering exceptional customer service, and creating a reliable infrastructure that demonstrates value to the students, faculty, staff, and alumni of Tufts University. TTS works in partnership with schools, business units, and other academic support organizations to provide campus-wide IT services in the areas of academic and research technology, enterprise application systems and services, networking and telecommunications, information security, data center operations, web services, classroom and computer lab technology support, and user support, training and outreach.
The Tufts Network Engineering Team within TTS is responsible for the design, maintenance, and security of the Tufts University data network. This includes all network services such as DHCP, DNS, and NTP, as well as IP routing and switching, server load balancing, managed firewall services, VPN services and an Optical transport network. Network Engineering staff respond 24x7 to events affecting connectivity or security and provide consulting to other IT support units throughout the University.
Reporting to the Team Lead of Network Engineering, the Network Engineer is responsible for the operation, support and surveillance of Tufts´ multi-campus data network. As a key member of the Network Engineering team, this position is actively involved in the operation of a mission critical, highly-resilient network infrastructure, including all wired network switches, core routers, service provider uplinks, next generation wireless platform, load balancers, firewalls, vpn and security systems and related central network services including DNS/DHCP/IPAM. This position will provide installation, configuration and operational support for these systems as well as capacity planning, change control, inventory control and monitoring functions.
- Bachelor's Degree with 4 years’ experience OR Associate’s Degree with 8 years’ experience
- Work related experience in the design of basic network systems and supporting infrastructure.
- Demonstrated operations experience with complex routed IP networks, layer two/three switches, advanced routers, firewalls, LAN/WAN networking hardware and protocols.
- Strong IP data networking knowledge and practical network troubleshooting experience.
- Current hands-on experience in the configuration management and operation of Cisco switches and routers
- Minimum of 4 years of direct experience in the day-to-day configuration, operation and troubleshooting of a complex enterprise data network.
- Working experience with networking technologies and protocols including but not limited to TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, OSPF, and Spanning Tree/RST
- Ability to conduct physical work necessary to install network equipment including the ability to use related hand tools such as screwdrivers, drills etc and to lift a minimum of 50lbs.
- Keen problem solving and demonstrated customer service skills and experience.
- Strong collaboration skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and balance workload between multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to travel between the three Tufts campuses (Medford Ma, Boston Ma, and Grafton Ma) as needed to assist in the installation and/or repair of network equipment.
- Occasional overnight travel may be necessary to attend vendor training and/or seminars.
- The ability to share in an on-call rotation and to provide support outside of normal business hours as needed while on-call and for occasional planned maintenance events.
- This position requires that the employee provide their own mobile device capable of sending and receiving business email, text/SMS and phone calls. The employee will receive a standard rate of partial reimbursement for this expense.
- Working experience with networking technologies and protocols including but not limited to Dynamic DNS, BGP, MPLS, and QOS
- Working knowledge of Juniper security products including VPN and firewalls, F5 load balancers, and Aruba wireless networking hardware.
- Network Services/Management (DNS/DHCP, NTP, IP Addressing) and Bluecat IPAM appliance and applications experience.
- Next Generation Data Center technology experience and familiarity with VMWare Virtualization technologies and network storage protocols.
- Working knowledge of Multicast, Optical Networking, Unified Messaging, VOIP, and IP based video conferencing and collaboration applications.
- Knowledge of various network management applications including CiscoWorks, Icinga, MRTG, NSM and tools such as Rancid, and Netflow.
- UNIX, RedHat Linux, and Microsoft 2003/2007/2010 Server system administration experience.
- Sufficient UNIX-based programming and scripting skills to author and maintain small tools, or scripts as may be needed is desirable.
- Experience with Microsoft Exchange 2010 and in supporting Exchange across and enterprise network
- Experience with Cisco Unified Computing System
- Effective communication skills and experience speaking and presenting in front of small groups.
- Experience working in the Higher education field
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
- This is a salaried position, and the schedule of such exempt employee may vary based on the needs of the department. Typical business hours are Monday-Friday 9am-5pm with requirement for participation in on-call rotation. Hours and shifts may vary throughout the year such that Network Engineering staff can provide on-site, weekday coverage between 7am-6:30pm. Network Engineering provides critical network services 24x7x365 and the successful candidate will be included in on-call rotation which provides coverage for all hours of the year. Typical work day is Seven (7) hours a day, plus one (1) hour break for lunch. Weekend and off-hours work is required on occasion.
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.