Graduate Coordinator / Grant Coordinator
Location: Sch Engineering & App Sci
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Chemical Engineering Engg
8:30 AM-5 PM
The Graduate Coordinator manages all aspects, from the recruitment of incoming students to the advising of current students, of the PhD and Master's programs in Chemical Engineering as well as the Alternative Energy Master's Degree Program. The position interfaces with the Graduate Studies Office (GSO) and many other departments to ensure effective day-to-day operations of the Graduate Program. The coordinator operates with minimal direction from the Graduate Chair, Department Chair and Department Administrator.
Admissions and Incoming Students
In partnership with the Director of Graduate Enrollment and the GSO for Arts, Sciences & Engineering.
- Manage the graduate application process by monitoring on-line applications through the application system (Slate), corresponding with prospective students and coordinating individual visits for candidates as required.
- Maintain continuity of review process from year to year, coordinate faculty access to materials and communicating updates on functions and features of Slate.
- Supports the department's Graduate Admissions Committee and is responsible for maintaining accurate notes with regard to decisions made and the timely communication of decisions to GSO following specific procedures.
- Serves as the departmental spokesperson at meetings with the Dean of Graduate Studies, specifically the Graduate Administrative Support Team monthly meetings.
- Prepares and submits special fellowship applications to internal University Offices and external agencies for additional funding.
- Prepares all necessary paperwork (student registration forms, visas, etc.) for incoming students.
- Conducts department graduate student orientation session, prepares associated materials, assists with completion of paperwork, informs students of policies and procedures.
- Personally committed to understanding and meeting the unique needs of students by providing advising support to current graduate students, while demonstrating a high level of skill in resolving student’s situations and directing academic related queries to the appropriate academic advisor.
- Advise students of policies and procedures and monitor student registration to ensure that proper course enrollment and degree requirements are met. Prepare and assist with drop/add forms, coordinate first-year exam schedules, and compile exams from faculty;
- Assist students in submission of PhD/MS thesis defense paperwork.
- Maintain complete, current and confidential department files for each graduate student and database.
- Create, change and maintain graduate program posters, bulletins and brochures for distribution internally at the University.
- Create and submit new course and course change forms; compile data and complete various program surveys; initiate, prepare and approve verifications of status, enrollment, graduation date, stipend levels as requested.
- Initiate and process appointment/reappointment forms, visa applications for international students while maintaining confidentiality of all information.
- Approve and monitor reimbursement forms (relating to graduate/post-doctoral students) and payroll expenses (relating to graduate/post-doctoral students) through consultation with faculty research advisors and review with department administrator.
- Attend and support advisory committee meetings, qualifying exams and seminar presentations
- Coordinate the Integrative Graduate Education Research and Traineeship (IGERt) program
- Assist in the preparation and submission of proposals and agreements
- Monitor spending on awards to ensure allowable charges and timely completion of projects
- Maintain CLASP certification
Other Duties as assigned
- Create and maintain Chemical Engineering Graduate Handbook for faculty and staff
- Process faculty/staff personnel forms using HRMS.
- Assist with an ongoing processes throughout the year such as; completion of the space survey using URSpace by tracking lab space assignments to ensure that all reports are correct and are in accordance with the university policies.
- Assist to coordinate the departmental seminar program
- In conjunction with the Alumni and Advancement office, maintain alumni database
- In conjunction with the ASE Institutional Research office, prepare and review departmental graduate student statistics for submission to various agencies/news outlets, e.g. NSF, ASEE and US & World News Reports.
Bachelor's degree with one year of administrative experience, prefer 3-4 years of experience in admissions, student services or working with graduate programs, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Marketing experience beneficial.
How To Apply
All applicants must apply online.
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer.