Dean of the College of Graduate Studies and Extended Education
Fort Valley State University, a unit of the University System of Georgia, seeks an experienced academic administrator to serve as Dean of the College of Graduate Studies and Extended Education and invites nominations and applications.
A recently appointed Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs will join the university in July. The Dean of the College of Graduate Studies and Extended Education will report to this new senior administrator.
The Dean supports the university’s mission and strategic plan by providing a leadership approach that inspires respect and collaboration and encourages creativity and innovation. The Dean directs the operations of the college and oversees, develops, and implements policies and programs related to graduate recruitment, admissions, retention, and financial achievement.
The College of Graduate Studies and Extended Education offers graduate degree programs at the university’s main campus in Fort Valley and academic center in Warner Robins. The Fort Valley Campus offers three master’s degree programs:
- Master of Science in Animal Science
- Master of Science in Biotechnology
- Master of Arts in History
Seven master’s degrees and one specialist degree programs are available at the Warner Robins Center:
- Master of Public Health: Environmental Health
- Master of Science in Early Childhood and Special Education
- Master of Science in Education in Middle Grades Education
- Master of Science in Education in School Counselor Education
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling and Case Management (also offered online)
- Education Specialist in School Counselor Education
While shaping and enhancing the successes of existing graduate programs, the Dean positions the college to engage in new opportunities to advance FVSU’s plans and strategies for growth. This senior administrator is skilled at discovering and enhancing the strengths and viability of programs, while also recognizing and remedying areas requiring improvement.
The Dean works collaboratively with senior administrators and faculty across the institution to achieve the goals and strategies for graduate programs. The Dean serves as the college’s primary advocate with the university’s senior administration.
Other duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate in creating, managing, and implementing academic policy for graduate students
- Promote and maintain a collegial working environment that encourages creativity and innovation
- Develop and implement academic strategic plans
- Prepare, oversee, and manage the college’s budget
- Conduct graduate program assessment and determine changes for viability as warranted
- Assess and implement programmatic and student success-oriented endeavors (e.g., retention efforts)
- Establish and manage partnerships with external constituents
- Assist in resolving formal student, faculty, and staff disputes and grievances
- Recommend appointment, reappointment, and promotion of faculty and staff in the College of Graduate Studies and Extended Education
Candidates must have an earned doctorate from a regionally accredited university and three to five years of experience in graduate program administration at a four-year institution of higher learning. Along with a notable record of scholarship, the candidate must have credentials appropriate for an appointment at the rank of professor in one of the areas of the college.
Other qualifications include:
- Demonstrated success in the hiring, mentoring, and evaluation of graduate faculty
- Experience in evidence-based program assessment • Experience in graduate program development
- Superb interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with faculty, staff, and administrators
- Experience in budget management, strategic planning, personnel, and student matters
- Knowledge of and experience with accreditation processes
- Experience with online degree programs and distance education programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, with attention to details, deadlines, and effective decision making
About the University
Located in central Georgia, Fort Valley State University is Georgia’s only 1890 Land-Grant Institution, providing extensive research, academic programs, and cooperative services to fulfill those responsibilities. The University’s mission and educational goals are realized through comprehensive program offerings in each of the four colleges.
The University’s more than 3,000 students represent 120 of Georgia’s 159 counties, 30 states, and 10 countries. Ninety-three percent of the student body is African American. Two-thirds of the students live on campus, and 85 percent attend college full-time.
The diverse faculty, with 173 full-time members, provides a supportive, yet challenging learning environment that encourages innovation and inspires lifelong learning and the realization of aspirations.
Fort Valley State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate against applicants, students or employees on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or marital or veteran status
Applications & Nominations
Nominations and confidential inquiries are invited.
TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter that indicates how your experience matches the requirements of the position, a current curriculum vitae, and complete contact information for at least four references to: FVSU-Grad@myersmcrae.com
Deadline is March 31, 2014.
The review of applications begins immediately.
The FVSU Office of Human Resources requires a completed application packet. The FVSU application form is available at http://www.fvsu.edu/job and the Job Number is 809. Submission instructions are on the form.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting is assisting Fort Valley State University with this search. The consultant team leaders are: Emily Parker Myers, President and CEO, and Kenny Daugherty, Executive Vice President and COO.Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting 515 Mulberry Street, Suite 200, Macon, Georgia www.myersmcrae.com