uTech R&I Consult-Lab Assistant Manager and Systems Support
Western Illinois University, accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, serves more than 12,000 students at its traditional, residential four-year campus in Macomb, IL and its metropolitan, non-residential campus in Moline, IL. Compliance to state and federal hiring standards is coordinated through WIU's Office of Equal Opportunity & Access.
Western Illinois University is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including, but not limited to, minorities, women and individuals with disabilities. WIU has a non-discrimination policy that includes sex, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, religion, age, marital status, national origin, disability, and veteran status.
APPOINTMENT: April 1, 2014
• Assist with management of all University Technology computer labs and computer resource centers consisting of approximately 600 Macintosh and Windows PC computers, including hardware, software, equipment and facilities maintenance, scheduling and staffing.
• Perform Active Directory, Open Directory, Group Policy, and desktop maintenance functions.
• Document Microsoft and Macintosh Server and Desktop security functions.
• Perform server programming and scripting.
• Design and maintain lab images.
• Provide anti-virus software installation, maintenance, and support.
• Provide Tier 2 and 3 support for the technology support center.
• Provide support to end-user by troubleshooting, maintaining, configuring, and installing operating systems, applications, network clients, and all types of hardware, including various types of peripherals and necessary software to support their operation.
• Coordinate lab computer hardware and software upgrades for WIU faculty and staff.
• Assist other R&I Consultants as needed on various projects and support issues
RANK & SALARY: Assistant Manager, salary is commensurate with qualifications. Western Illinois University offers a competitive benefits package including domestic partner benefits. For full benefit information visit: http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/human_resources/benefits/.
• Bachelor’s degree from a fully accredited university (in a computer related field is desired), or an equivalent level of training, knowledge, and experience is required.
• One or more years of experience in project management and leadership.
• Possess excellent speaking and writing skills for communicating with both technical and non-technical staff and constituents.
• Experience with, planning, design, implementation, and support at the server or desktop including Microsoft Server 2008 and Microsoft Windows 7.
• Experience with VMware Data Center environment.
• Significant troubleshooting experience, at the server, network, and desktop levels.
• Experience working in a multi-platform client/server environment, including Microsoft, UNIX, Linux, and Mac OS.
• Understanding of OS deployment technologies such as Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, Symantec Ghost, Deploy Studio, etc.
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills; the demonstrated ability to address complex problems logically and systematically.
• Ability to work closely with a team of other specialists to provide computing solutions.
• Programming and scripting skills.
• Successfully pass a criminal background check.
• MCITP or MCSE certification (preferably with a security specialization).
• Five or more years of progressive experience in Microsoft Windows systems administration in an enterprise class or large University wide environment.
• Experience with multi-platform multi-server virus protection.
• Experience with backup and disaster recovery procedures.
• Experience with deploying and running Microsoft WSUS and SCCM.
• Experience with Microsoft Windows PowerShell, WSH, VBscript.
• Database experience (Oracle, MS SQL, FileMaker, MySQL, MS Access, MS Excel, etc.)
• LDAP, Open Directory, CAS, DNS, DHCP experience.
• GIAC Certified Microsoft Windows Security Administrator (GCWN) .
• Experience with Apple Open Directory and ARD.
THE DEPARTMENT: University Technology supports the students, faculty, and staff in their technology needs. For more departmental information, please visit http://www.wiu.edu/uTech.
THE UNIVERSITY: Recognized as a "Best Midwestern College" by the Princeton Review and one of 39 public universities ranked a top tier "Best Midwestern University" by U.S.News & World Report, Western Illinois University (WIU) serves approximately 12,200 students in the heart of the Midwest through its traditional residential campus in Macomb and its metropolitan, non-residential location in Moline, Illinois.
The WIU-Macomb and -Quad Cities campuses are comprised of accomplished faculty, state-of-the-art technology and facilities, and a wide range of academic and extracurricular opportunities. Western is a comprehensive university offering 65 undergraduate and 37 graduate degree programs, including a doctorate in education. With a student-to-faculty ratio of 15:1, the University's 612 full-time faculty members teach 93.5 percent of all undergraduate and graduate courses, in addition to 10 pre-professional degree programs and 19 certificate programs.
Western offers a broad-based athletics program, sponsoring 20 NCAA Division I intercollegiate varsity sports. Football competes in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision through the Missouri Valley Football Conference; all other varsity sports compete at the Division I level through The Summit League. WIU is the cultural center of the region. University Libraries house an extensive collection and offer online database access to thousands of academic periodic journals and publications.
WIU-Macomb, IL (Student Population: 10,003): A traditional, residential four-year campus with select graduate programs, WIU-Macomb is located in the heart of west central Illinois in Macomb (population 20,000). Macomb is an Amtrak city with twice-daily service to Chicago. Macomb is located approximately 75 miles from the Quad Cities International Airport (Moline, IL) and 70 miles from the Greater Peoria Regional Airport (Peoria, IL).
WIU-Quad Cities (Student Population: 1,204): The only public university in the Quad Cities area, WIU-QC offers select undergraduate and graduate programs, including a doctorate in education, at its metropolitan, non-residential campuses in Moline, IL (population 44,000). The Quad Cities (population 376,000) rests on the banks of the Mississippi River and is comprised of Moline and Rock Island in western Illinois and Davenport and Bettendorf in eastern Iowa. Moline, Illinois is home to the Quad Cities International Airport.
APPLICATION: Complete applications include:
1) a letter of application
2) current curriculum vita or resume
3) the names, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three current professional references
4) copies of unofficial academic transcripts, official transcripts will be requested of selected candidate Unofficial transcripts will be accepted, however top candidates will be asked to supply official transcripts
5) copies of certifications
Please upload the requested documents by clicking APPLY NOW or by navigating to the WIU Employment page at the following URL http://www.wiu.edu/employment/
**Note** In order to upload Individual documents must be under 2 MB in size.
Screening will begin on March 10, 2014 and continue until the position is filled.
Questions regarding search may be directed to Shannon Cramer SL-Cramer@wiu.edu.
For assistance with the online application system contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309)298-1977 or via email at email@example.com