Assistant Director, Student Accounts
Assistant Director, Student Accounts
The Assistant Director, Student Accounts will assist in overseeing accounts receivable collections (approximately $180 million annually), managing the $2.4 million Perkins Loan program, overseeing federal reporting requirements (1098T program), coordinate the outside/private aid program totaling more than $1 million, provide customer service to students and stakeholders, and other daily operational functions as deemed appropriate.Campus Location
Primary Duties, Responsibilites, and Tasks
25% Assist with the collection of approximately $180 million in accounts receivables. Mail out collection letters on a monthly basis. Upload accounts to our billing Service ECSI for credit bureau reporting and collection agency placement. Act as point of contact for former students whose balances have been written off. Coordinate payment options to clear balance.
25% Manage the Perkins Loan Program: Responsible for maintaining, updating, and reconciling $2.4 million Perkins Loan portfolio. Review and post deferments, forbearances, assignments and cancellations on case by case basis. Send monthly past due letters and emails. Generate Loan Verification Certificates and fax to consolidation companies. Maintain Perkins Loan Paid in Full records. Ensure accurate records and compliance with federal regulations.
25% Provide excellent customer service to students, families, colleagues, and other stakeholders who have inquiries into the area of student accounts. Counsel/advise/educate parents, students and campus community on student accounts policies and procedures while complying with FERPA regulations. Provide written and oral communication on financial planning/financial options. Perform outreach to students and work in a proactive manner. Be strategic in vision and in practice.
25% Act as liaison for Business Services, Finance, and Professional Studies; Conduct all third-party billing and other functions of the office; Coordinate outside/private aid totaling over $1 million; Daily feeds with Finance Office; maintain cash and adhering to controls/policies; 1098Ts; Approve refunds; Resolve default accounts with three collection agencies, reviewing monthly agency statements and invoices; Submit check requests and mail checks to pay agency fees. Manage TuitionPay program with Sallie Mae.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Education (including hardware, software, and equipment)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work with students, parents, and other stakeholders in a friendly, courteous manner;
• Aiblity to become a trainer and cross-train staff on operations;
• Strategic minded and technically advanced;
• Ability to propose changes to current policies and procedures to increase customer service efforts and efficiencies; Strong understanding of cash management policies and controls; Understanding of Title IV financial aid as it pertains to students’ accounts;
• Experience working closely with students/families in a higher education environment;
• Have strong communication skills that include the ability to present information in a public manner as well as one-on-one meetings. Excellent written skills is also expected;
• Ability to handle stressful situations in a courteous and professional manner;
• Inquisitive and analytical, with strong critical thinking skills. S/he will have the ability to solve problems, including the ability to help non-experts understand policies and processes;
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and successfully prioritize tasks; and
• Commitment to and ability to work with diverse populations.
Preferred/Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Education (including hardware, software, and equipment)
Bachelor’s Degree and 1-3 years of Banner Experience within the Accounts Receivable module; Understanding of cash management regulations and controls; Understanding of Title IV financial aid as it pertains to students’ accounts; At least 3 years of experience within an Office of Student Accounts, Bursar’s Office, or similar environment.
Required Prior Work Experience
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree required. 1-3 years of experience in finance, accounting, accounts receivable, or other business related experience. Knowledge of ERP systems similar to Banner; Microsoft Office (including Excel): ability to learn new systems.
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society.
Open Until Filled
To apply, please visit: www.emerson.edu