Assistant Professor of Biology
Assistant Professor of Biology
Biology/Science, Mathematics & Health Sciences Division/Santa Ana College
2 Tenure Track Positions
Position 1- Anatomy and Physiology
Position 2 – Biotechnology and Botany
RSCCD has one of the highest faculty salary schedules among California’s 72 community college districts. New faculty may be placed as high as step 11 on the salary schedule based upon verified teaching/work experience. The starting salary may range from $53,554.86 to $90,579.07/year for the 10-month academic year, depending upon education and experience. Additional compensation is provided for work beyond the basic teaching contract.
The district will contribute up to $23,472.84 per year toward the medical/dental insurance expense for the employee and any eligible dependents, plus $1,250 per year for additional fringe benefit expenses, life insurance coverage of $50,000 or the employee’s annual salary, whichever is greater and ten days of sick leave per year. Membership in the California State Teachers’ Retirement System.
Starting Date: 2014 Fall Semester
Deadline to Apply: Wednesday, March 5, 2014, 5:00 pm
Teach all assigned classes for both biology majors and non-majors which may include evening or off-campus assignments unless excused according to Board Policy provisions. Maintain accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and academic progress. Assist in maintaining course outline for each assigned course. Be familiar with and observe the administrative regulations as they appear in the Faculty Handbook (flex calendar obligations, course overviews, etc). Participate in department committees and activities. Opportunity to teach classes across the curriculum.
(Applicants must meet one of the following):
• Possess from an accredited institution: A master's degree in any biological science, OR bachelor's degree in any biological science AND master's degree in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science, OR
• Possess a valid California Community College credential authorizing service in the discipline, OR
• The equivalent (applicants who do not meet the above minimum qualifications must complete the Equivalencies Section in the application form and provide conclusive evidence of such).
• In addition to the above required minimum qualifications:
Position 1 – Anatomy and physiology
o Training and expertise in the fields of anatomy and/or physiology
o Graduate credit coursework in anatomy and/or physiology
o Experience and enthusiasm for teaching anatomy and/or physiology preferred
Position 2 – Biotechnology and botany
o Training and expertise in the fields of biotechnology and/or botany
o At least 3 years work experience at a biotechnology company desired
o Graduate credit coursework in biotechnology, botany, molecular biology, microbiology, biomedical engineering or related areas.
o Familiarity with current biotechnology practices
o Experience and enthusiasm for teaching biotechnology, botany, microbiology or related subjects preferred
• College level teaching experience, Community college teaching experience desirable but not required.
• Demonstrated ability in teaching students from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds and widely varying levels of proficiency preferred.
• A working knowledge of and experience with student learning outcomes and assessment.
• Ability to teach a wide breadth of biology courses for both majors and non-majors preferred
• Demonstrated ability to engage in departmental and college service activities such as internship development
• Participation in ongoing professional development activities
Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United State must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
In addition to the requirements and responsibilities listed, the following criteria will be considered in selecting candidates for interviews:
• Educational experience - breadth and depth
• Work experience - breadth and depth
• Demonstrated leadership capabilities
• Curriculum development
• Program development
• Community involvement
• Demonstrated experience in working with a diverse socioeconomic community
• Credentials or minimum qualifications authorizing service in other areas of need
• Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others
• Bilingual ability (if needed)
Based upon the information presented on the application materials, a limited number of candidates with qualifications most pertinent to the position will be invited to participate in the selection process, which may include a written test and oral interview.
Applicants selected for an interview may be required to take additional tests or assessments and will be notified of such prior to the date of the interview. During the oral session, those selected for interviews, in addition to the above, may be evaluated on the following factors:
• Oral communication skills
• Problem solving skills
• Successful teaching, problem solving or performance demonstration
• Writing skills/demonstration
Applicants are requested to provide thorough yet concise information on their related experience to ensure correct evaluation of their qualifications. A predetermined set of questions will be asked during all interviews. Evaluation criteria will be applied consistently to all applicants.
Method of Application
For consideration in the selection process, interested persons must complete the online district academic application by the specified closing date for the position at www.rsccd.edu. All materials must be submitted online. If needed, a computer which can only access RSCCD employment website and scanner to upload materials/documents (no USB) are available at the Human Resources Department, 2323 North Broadway, Santa Ana, California, 92706, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday.
Please upload the following application materials in the appropriate boxes with your online application by the closing date:
• Resume (Required)
• Unofficial transcripts, showing that the minimum qualifications are met. Foreign degrees must have coursework evaluated and submit a copy of the evaluation (Required)
• Cover letter indicating the position applied for and summarizing qualifications and experience (Required)
• Any additional supplemental materials (Optional)
Travel reimbursement is available to those meeting the established district criteria.
Candidates selected for employment will be required to provide current verification of a negative TB test or chest x-ray, complete the district's fingerprinting process, and bring proof of their legal right to work in the United States. Cost of TB testing, fingerprinting and the fee for criminal record check will be paid for by the candidates.
The District is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, Vietnam-era veteran status or sexual orientation.
The District will make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. Applicant should contact the Human Resources Office for assistance.
Post: Tuesday, January 28, 2014