Associate Regional Director (New York City Region)
Location: Central Admin-SrVP Advancement
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Full Time 40 hours Grade 056 Ofc Sr Vice Pres Advancement
8 AM-5 PM; SOME WKENDS
Charged with dramatically increasing both the quality and size of the University of Rochester prospect pool, the Office of Regional Advancement plays a key role in the overall growth of private philanthropy for this outstanding institution.
The Associate Regional Director will be based in Rochester and deployed throughout the metro NYC area which includes Northern NJ, Long Island, New York City, Westchester and Fairfield County, CT. The position will require extensive travel to originate prospect/donor activity and to raise annual major gifts from a broad spectrum of University constituents. The Associate Regional Director will need to work cooperatively with colleagues in schools and units. This position will carry a portfolio of approximately 150 qualified prospects and make a minimum of 200 face to face visits per year.
The position reports to the Senior Director of Regional Advancement and will share a designated staff person supporting him or her.
With broad latitude for independent judgment, and in coordination with the Senior Director and other NYC Area assigned Regional Directors, the Associate Regional Director will:
Effectively manage a major prospect solicitation pipeline. Initiate and/or strengthen relationships with regional major gift prospects; create strategies for and solicit donors capable of contributing gifts of $50,000 to $500,000. Efficiently plan productive travel. Initial work will likely involve a high number of identification and qualification visits, as well as high-end Annual Fund solicitations (George Eastman Circle).
Continuing training and professional development including updating of "product knowledge" by regular meetings with unit-based colleagues, faculty and staff; training on UR Advancement protocols and procedures; technical training on Advancement’s prospect management system; honing of professional skills through seminars, conferences, training and individual mentoring.
Either individually or in cooperation with support staff, continuously update the prospect management database with information related to donor strategies, contacts and results.
Other duties as required by the Senior Director or the Assistant Vice President of Advancement.
- A track record of success in individual, annual or major gift fundraising or in a sales position outside higher education. Proven ability to "close sales."
- Bachelor's degree is required with 5-7 years of Advancement experience at a University or college.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent time/territory management skills. Preference for individuals who have worked in a regionally assigned office and have experience with, and a passion for, working "on the road."
- Broad knowledge of principles of fundraising – able to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle: (1) to initiate contact with potential donors; (2) to develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers and senior university administrators; (3) to move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; (4) to make solicitations when appropriate; (5) to maintain stewardship contacts with donors.
- For candidates without non-profit experience, a proven ability to learn new skills and apply them in a new environment.
- General knowledge of tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets and estates, or the willingness to learn.
- Superb oral, written and interpersonal skills required
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Solid relationship-building skills, able to interface with alumni, donors, volunteers, leading faculty, administrators and trustees
- A strong desire to "sell and close"
- Ability to work collegially within Advancement and across all UR units
- In consultation with the Senior Director, make on or two multi-day trips per month sufficient to meet the goal of 200 face-to-face visits per year
- Ability to effectively close gifts
For further information, please contact
via email: email@example.com
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How To Apply
All applicants must apply online.
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer.