Director of Instrumental Studies (F596)
School/College: College of Music and the Arts
Department: School of Music
Location: Azusa Campus
Director of Instrumental Studies - Full time faculty position.
- Provide artistic and administrative leadership of a comprehensive university instrumental program that currently has over 14 ensembles.
- Coordinate and communicate effectively with the directors of the APU Symphony, Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, University Choir and Orchestra, Marching Band, jazz ensembles, and various chamber ensembles.
- Give oversight to the day-to-day organization of the instrumental teaching program.
- Recruit both on and off campus for the instrumental program. Work to continue to strengthen the links with local area high schools, community colleges, and churches.
- Other responsibilities may include ensemble conducting and teaching in the candidate’s discipline.
Level: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Full Professor
- A demonstrated, vibrant Christian faith compatible with the mission of Azusa Pacific University (faculty members are required to sign a “Statement of Faith,” available at http://www.apu.edu/about/believe, and to adhere to the policies outlined in the Faculty Handbook)
- Earned doctorate in music or exceptional achievement in music
- Demonstrated success in recruiting to an instrumental program
- An active record of artistic and professional activities
- A strong potential to contribute to the vision of the College of Music and the Arts
- The ability to work collegially with ensemble directors and educators within and beyond the university
- Successful history of collegiate ensemble leadership
- Strong record of collegiate teaching
Full time faculty, 12-month contract. Workload includes directorship of instrumental programs, teaching, artistic/professional activity, service, advising, and College and/or University committee assignments.
- Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects.
- Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
- Self starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
Hire Date: Applications will be reviewed beginning March 1st with the ideal start date of July 1, 2014; the position will remain open until filled.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.