Public Relations Associate
Location: Health Sciences
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Full Time 40 hours Grade 052 Public Relations & Comns MC
8:30 AM-5 PM
Under direction and with considerable latitude for exercise of independent judgment, assists in executing ongoing communications efforts and campaigns aimed at the School of Nursing's constituents, including faculty, students, alumni, and external audiences. While some assignments are received in the form of written or verbal instructions, many are uncovered and all are implemented with a significant degree of initiative and independent creativity. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, takes initiative once given minimal direction, and possesses strong writing skills and ability to vary his/her writing style to craft compelling and useful content for diverse materials and audiences. An ongoing student and user of social media, the candidate will work to continually improve and better leverage new media vehicles (e.g., e-newsletters, video messages, blogs, Facebook pages, Twitter and wikis) to ensure message saturation as well as cultivate a more active dialogue between SON and its audiences.
- Marketing-Communications Collaboration: Works in tandem with SON marketing representative(s), faculty, staff, and other departments as needed, to provide communications and public relations direction, expertise and ideas, and assist in the development and implementation of broad marketing-communications plans to support the goals of various SON programs and/or service lines, primarily for the SON Center for Employee Wellness, but also for smaller specific areas as needed. Specific contributions include content the writing and proofreading of collateral materials, and developing, leading and implementing a variety of strategic external and internal communication initiatives (articles, postings, letters, etc.), as well as regular attendance at planning meetings.
- Research/Interviewing/Writing: Follows-up on leads and also independently discovers, gathers, judges, selects and interprets newsworthy material. Interviews faculty, staff, and others to identify potential stories. Writes articles for publications (NURSING magazine published 2x/year), e-newsletters and news releases as well as other materials, such as speeches, brochure copy, website copy, invitations, correspondence, and submissions to URMC internal communications channels.
- Social Media Assistance: Oversees, grows and more deeply leverages SON’s existing social media communities, including driving traffic to and managing Facebook sites, blogs, Twitter feeds, etc. Serves as a liaison for other faculty/staff in feeding content to URMC’s social media platforms.
- Media Relations: Assists with responses to media requests and with the coordination of media interviews, videography and photography, as needed. Proactively works to indentify newsworthy subjects, assists with media pitching as needed, and fosters positive relationships with media to promote SON visibility locally, regionally and nationally. Tracks media mentions of SON in PR department media log.
- Publications Production: Assists in aspects of publication production including providing creative input, scheduling and overseeing photography, and proofreading as needed.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 2 years (prefer 5 years) of progressively responsible experience in Public Relations/Communications; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Self-starter; proven track-record for driving and orchestrating big projects; creative, and organized.
- Outstanding writing, editing and general communications skills; able to recast stories for target audiences.
- Interest in emerging communications technologies/changing media landscape.
- Able to collaborate easily with faculty, staff, reporters, PR colleagues, and SON leadership.
- Experience in health care or a higher education environment is a plus.
How To Apply
All applicants must apply online.
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer.