Cook Senior, Partial Year Schedule
Vanderbilt Campus Dining is highly decorated, the winner of many prestigious awards in the food service industry, including Best On-Site Food Service Operation in the Nation, Best Food Service Operator, the prestigious Ivy Award, and many more. To learn more about Vanderbilt Campus Dining, please visit: www.vanderbilt.edu/dining
These are full-time, Partial Year Schedule (PYS) positions with benefit options. The academic year runs from August - May and the comprehensive benefits package includes competitive salary, health care plan eligibility upon hire, paid vacations, tuition discount, work-life balance, summers off, meal discounts etc.
- As assistant to the Unit Chef, the Sr. Cook will help with menu planning, inventory, and managing of supplies
- Oversee the daily production of culinary staff
- Demonstrate and perform advanced culinary techniques
- Follow complex recipes and manage required food production for recipes
- Creates and follows daily production sheet for menus
- Taste foods to determine their quality, texture, consistency, and taste
- Plan sequence and time of cooking operations to meet meal-serving hours
- Report in writing the quantities of food items prepared, served and leftovers on the daily production sheet
- Monitor and participate in the cleaning of the cooking area and equipment
- When called upon, assist in taking monthly inventory of food, paper items and chemicals.
- Delegate work assignments and monitor work of designated culinary employees
- Assist in creating work schedules for culinary staff when needed
- Responsibilities may include closing and opening kitchen
- Maintain temperature logs and take temperatures of food regularly and record data as instructed by management.
- Maintain quality and sanitary standards of State and City Health Departments and Vanderbilt University Campus Dining Service codes.
- Follow all safety and sanitation standards set by Vanderbilt Campus Dining
- Understand Vanderbilt Campus Dining Meal Plans and have the ability to explain the guidelines of the plan to students and faculty.
- Assist in the training of food production workers, cook assistants and cooks.
- Assist with receiving of orders.
- Provide on the job training to new hires and student employees.
- Work in a team-driven environment, take direction, offer direction and assist with problem-solving
- Report to management any safety hazards and equipment in need of repair.
- Complete all opening and closing checklists; complete cleaning lists.
These are full-time, Partial Year Schedule positions.
Candidates must be available to work a flexible shift including 1st and 2nd shift hours and weekends.
The starting salary for these positions is $14.68 per hour.
Note that shortlisted candidates will be invited to perform a basic hands-on culinary test, which will include the ability to expertly and efficiently use a variety of knives.
(multiple positions are available)
This position requires a high school graduate or GED and 5 years of experience or the equivalent.
Successful completion of prescribed cook apprenticeship program or other accredited cooking program and 5 years' experience as a Cook in casual dining, fine dining or catering operations. Previous experience in ordering food and creating production lists is desired.
Preference will also be given to candidates with a current ServSafe Certification or certificate from local health department.
Job Food Service
Primary Location TN-Nashville-Vanderbilt Dining Services
Organization Rand Dining Hall 175210