DIRECTOR FOR EDUCATIONAL AND ONLINE LEARNING TECHNOLOGY SERVICES - Tufts Technology Services
Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization dedicated to the strategic planning, implementation, and support of technology products and services that anticipate and meet the academic, research, and business needs of the Tufts community. TTS offers technical leadership and campus-wide services to our customers with a focus on providing innovative solutions, delivering exceptional customer service, and creating a reliable infrastructure that demonstrates value to the students, faculty, staff, and alumni of Tufts University. TTS works in partnership with Tufts' schools, business units, and other academic support organizations such as Tufts' libraries, centers and institutes to provide campus-wide IT services in the areas of educational and research technology applications, enterprise application systems and services, networking and telecommunications, information security, data center operations, web services, classroom and computer lab technology support, client support, and IT training and outreach.
Academic Technology Services is a university-wide resource that fosters collaborative partnerships among faculty, administrative staff and technology professionals by providing expert guidance and assistance on using technology in support of teaching and research. Through on-site consultations, this group works with Tufts' schools and faculty to plan, design, develop and integrate technology to address their educational and research objectives. They provide a broad range of programs and services including educational and research technology planning, and implementation of technology services that advance education and scholarship at the University. In addition, they sponsors educational events for faculty on teaching and researching with technology and provide consultation services on instructional design, GIS, statistical and research methods and research and scientific computing.
The Director for Educational & Online Learning Technology Services, a directorate within Academic Technology Services, reports directly to the Vice President for Information Technology & CIO and is responsible for the development, management and evaluation of all university-wide educational and online learning technology services. In collaboration with the CIO and senior university leadership, this position will actively engage in strategic planning to define, develop, implement, and communicate a comprehensive strategy to ensure the effective use of technology that aligns with the university's strategic goals in teaching and learning. This position will be instrumental in the development and coordination of new technologies and support services to support the growth in online programs and blended learning. Position responsibilities include overseeing the design and management of a portfolio of technology services that align with educational and online learning priorities and guide related investment decisions; fostering the development and broad awareness of emerging technologies that lead to effective services for advancing teaching and learning with technology; partnering with academic deans, faculty and academic service leaders to develop coordinated technology programs and services for the Tufts community; actively participating on the TTS senior leadership team to set organizational directions and priorities; and overseeing budgeting, resource planning processes and staff development programs for the directorate. The portfolio of services includes instructional design and consulting, development and application of multimedia and other educational technologies, curricular software development, faculty development programs, classroom and instructional space design, and enterprise learning management and digital library systems support.
- Master’s degree in a related technical/business field
- 10+ years of progressive management experience in IT or related field
- Solid experience with current and emerging communication, collaboration and media technologies, as well as enterprise digital information systems within higher education
- A deep awareness of the affordances of current and emerging technologies to advance collaboration, exploration and discovery across academic disciplines, and significant experience leveraging these opportunities for practical and measurable gains in teaching and learning.
- Demonstrated record of developing and managing innovative and effective educational and distance learning technology services for a diverse community.
- Extensive understanding and significant accomplishments in a wide area of technologies and their application for teaching and learning across academic disciplines.
- Demonstrated leadership skills including ability to lead technical teams, coach and mentor others, assess staff performance, and demonstrated ability to attract and retain talented IT professionals.
- Ability to set and effectively communicate a vision for educational and online learning technologies that is aligned with university priorities and skill at enlisting support and participation from members of the community is necessary for the development and maintenance of university-wide service. Must also have ability to translate vision into practice through competency in IT analysis, budgeting and planning, assessment and evaluation and IT service management.
- Experience collaborating with other IT leaders and CIO to align strategic IT service portfolio with business needs.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with ability to present ideas and vision to a wide variety of audiences.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills with extensive experience building and maturing relationships at all levels of an organization to ensure alignment of services with business needs.
- Ability to develop processes to encourage knowledge sharing, collaboration and work flow, and ensuring the development and implementation of any necessary corrective actions to meet objectives.
- Ability to think strategically, as well as tactically, and to exercise sound judgment in problem-solving and priority/goal setting.
- Experience in grant writing and post-secondary teaching
- Project management skills
- Familiarity with IT Service Management frameworks
- Experience overseeing a broad portfolio of educational support services that include curricular technology development, distance education support, learning management, and faculty development
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
- The demands of senior leadership positions within TTS frequently require effort beyond standard working hours, including but not limited to evenings and weekends.
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.