Financial Aid Counselor
Location: Pasadena, CA
Office Building/Campus: Pasadena
Home Department: Financial Aid
Position Type: Staff Position
Pacific Oaks College is an upper-division, accredited institution offering bachelors, masters, and certificate programs in human development, marital and family therapy, early childhood education, and teaching credentialing. It operates a main campus in Pasadena, CA and offers programs online and in several communities throughout California.
Founded more than 60 years ago Pacific Oaks College is dedicated to the principles of inclusion, social justice, and the valuing of every human being. The institution is known and recognized for its pioneering efforts to reduce bias within our nation's education system, and for equipping graduates with the skills they need to help people from diverse backgrounds, learning styles, and strengths uncover and realize their unique individual potentials.
We are looking for a Financial Aid Counselor to join our Team!
The successful candidate for the Financial Aid Counselor position is expected to provide in-depth interpretation, counseling and resolutions to all students’ financial aid packaging and awarding needs. The position involves but is not limited to determining level of student financial need, eligibility for federal, state and institutional aid, packaging and awarding. Additionally, applicants must be well versed on interpreting financial aid regulations, analyzing student data, and implementing procedures to ensure regulatory compliance and timely accurate delivery of all available financial aid.
This position reports directly to the Director of Financial Aid.
- Packaging and awarding of all available aid to graduate and undergraduate students
- Counsel students in-person, by telephone and/or via e-mail regarding all financial aid policies, procedures and financial aid inquires
- Monitor, manage and track student financial packaging, awarding and disbursing progress via an integrated software system and reports
- Review, organize and prepare student financial aid files in preparation for annual A-133 audit
- Financial aid presenter at college information sessions and new student orientation programs
- Attend workshops and conferences as necessary
- Provide debt management counseling
- Other duties as assigned by the Student Finance Director
- Evening, weekend and travel work as required
- Bachelor Degree preferred, but not required
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a Financial Aid office performing packaging, awarding and FA troubleshooting
- Knowledge of Federal Title IV regulations for both graduate and undergraduate students
- Must be committed to a high level of quality customer service
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Bi-lingual a plus
- Knowledge of the Campus Vue software preferred but not required
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office with an emphasis on Excel
Pacific Oaks College offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of diversity and social justice. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, 403b with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), and tuition discounts.
Pacific Oaks College is an affiliate of TCS Education System. To apply for this position or others, visit our Careers’ Page at: www.pacificoaks.edu
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Pacific Oaks offers equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, housing status, source of income or military status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.