Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Announcement #: 14-048
Campus: Foothill College
Required Documents: Resume, Transcript(s), Required Supplemental Documents, Classroom Teaching Experience, Other
Number of Working Months: 10 Months
Salary: $53,730 - $88,243 annually
Close Date: 02/17/2014
Employment Duration: Full-Time
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of English Instructor, Foothill College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
Foothill College is seeking a dynamic, motivated, and collegial full-time English instructor. The successful candidate will teach primarily (but not exclusively) transfer-level composition courses, and may on occasion teach courses in literature in the instructor's areas of expertise and/or cultural interest, as well as developmental writing and reading courses. The faculty member will support student success through the application and understanding of materials, pedagogies, assessment methods and feedback techniques that are effective within a multicultural population. Collaboration with faculty and staff in the English Department, Language Arts and other Divisions to develop strategies, programs, and new courses to increase student persistence and retention is an essential part of the job. The successful candidate will also evaluate existing departmental courses and programs, and keep abreast of research, developments in pedagogy and methodology in teaching both non-native and native English speakers.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors also have the opportunity to serve on District and college committees and participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
• Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
• Master’s in English, literature, comparative literature, or composition OR Bachelor’s in any of the above AND Master’s in linguistics, TESL, speech, education with a specialization in reading, creative writing, or journalism OR the equivalent.
• Coursework and/or experience teaching transfer-level composition and reading, critical thinking, and literature courses in a multicultural college or university setting.
• Knowledge of current theories of composition, reading, and critical thinking.
• Training and/or experience in creating curriculum, curriculum that includes diverse cultural, international, gender, and ethnic perspectives in developmental and transfer-level courses.
• Experience collaborating with colleagues and developing interdisciplinary approaches to teaching and learning.
• Experience with SLO design and assessment
• Strong oral and written communication skills, including engaging interactive presentation skills.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Familiarity with instructional technology and/or experience developing computer-based, online, or multimedia instructional applications.
• Endurance within a classroom setting, teaching students while standing, sitting, or walking throughout the classroom.
• Use of aids such as chalkboards, posters, bulletin boards, overhead projector, television, recorder, computer, and technological equipment.
• Retrieval, use, storage, and light lifting of teaching material, including books, equipment, assignments, etc.
• Personally model subject-matter knowledge in written and oral language.
• Accurately assess students' learning abilities, needs, and styles.
• Seeing to read various materials.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person.
• Develop and implement a behavioral management process for monitoring, evaluating, and managing both appropriate and inappropriate student behaviors.
• Address stressful events, created by hostile students by (a) maintaining emotional control, (b) listening without judgment or retaliation, (c) reasoning objectively and consistently, (d) keeping at the forefront the best interests of the student, and (e) maintaining professionalism and due process.
• A District application to be completed at https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH17/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=FHDA&cws=1&rid=860
*In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
• A cover letter, (no more than one page), that addresses the job duties and preferred qualifications that best support your candidacy for the position.
• A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
• In the Required Supplemental Documents Section, (no more than two pages) describe a book you have used or would use in a transfer-level composition course, such as English 1A; explain why you chose it, and how you approached or would approach the instruction of that text to community college students with diverse backgrounds, skills, and needs.
• In the Classroom Teaching Experience Section, submit a student writing assignment, appropriate for a developmental -level composition class, with a brief (no more than one page) explanation of your criteria and rationale for the activity.
• All college transcripts scanned in Word or PDF version.
• One letter of recommendation (scanned in the Other box in your application).
We do not accept JPEG or other file formats for transcripts. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates must submit transcripts. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain and submit transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company, and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant’s expense.
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application materials. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date.
HIRING RANGE: $53,730 - $88,243 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant’s verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Faculty are also eligible for paid sabbatical leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2014
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
This position will become Open Until Filled after the initial Closing Date. Any complete applications received while the position is Open Until Filled will be reviewed by the hiring committee only upon committee request.
To view full job description or to apply, visit: https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH17/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=FHDA&cws=1&rid=860