SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR - School of Engineering
The mission of Tufts University's Department of Computer Science and the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering in the School of Engineering is to provide superior undergraduate and graduate education worthy of the University's high teaching standards, while remaining competitive with comparable highly ranked educational institutions in research productivity, visibility, and funding. The two academic departments maintain a wide range of computer systems and applications supporting a commitment to dynamic research and highly effective teaching both in and outside the classroom. Simultaneous support of two departments requires a unified approach to systems management that makes most efficient use of available resources and produces a reliable and secure environment for all aspects of academic, research, and desktop computing.
Performs system administration for Linux servers and workstations including operating system upgrades/installations, compiling open source software, troubleshooting performance problems, system monitoring, user account management, and system backups. Writes scripts to automate routine tasks and refactors existing tools. Participates in integrated support that ranges from the back-end systems and infrastructure to the end-user's desktop.
- Bachelor's degree and 3+ years of related experience OR High School Diploma and 5+ years of experience
- Experience supporting Linux in a heterogeneous environment. Proficient with bash/sh shell scripting. Familiar with various TCP/IP protocols including basic IP routing/subnetting, NFS, SSH, and HTTP. Strong backup and recovery knowledge.
- Experience delivering front line technical support.
- Ability to lift 60 pounds.
- 3-5 years experience in an academic or research environment.
- Other desired technical skills include web server administration using Apache/MySQL/PHP, Directory Server LDAP server, automating system installations with kickstart, advanced scripting in perl or python, and EMC/Legato Networker backup systems. Some Windows and Mac administration experience also preferred.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
- Full-time exempt position, 52 weeks per year
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.