Assistant Director of Financial Aid, FAMS
Excelsior College, one of the “Top Workplaces/Best Places to work,” in the New York State’s Capital District Region, is seeking dynamic applicants for the position of Assistant Director of Financial Aid, FAMS to work within the Office of Financial Aid.
The Assistant Director of Financial Aid assists the Director in the day-to-day operations of the Office of Financial Aid and coordinates the operation of the Financial Aid Management System (FAMS), PowerFAIDS insuring that procedures and software reflect current federal and state regulations. This position serves as the primary liaison with the Office of Information Technology Services (OITS) and holds responsibility for configuring software, trouble shooting software issues, coordinating software releases and utilizing technology to improve efficiency in the Office of Financial Aid.
- Handle procedures related to the administration and maintenance of the FAMS in cooperation with the information technology office.
- Stay current with knowledge and use of financial aid software, i.e. PowerFAIDS, EdConnect, Common Origination Disbursement (COD), and NYSHESC.
- Work with financial aid staff and the information technology office to investigate and solve software issues. Communicate technical issues clearly in understandable terms.
- Maintain and upgrade the FAMS software and coordinate the implementation of new applications.
- Review current practices and procedures as they relate to PowerFAIDS processing and lead process optimization projects that will improve efficiencies in the financial aid office.
- Assist in the development of office policies and procedures and insure that the software complies with the policies and procedures.
- Manage annual PowerFAIDS parameter role and new-year system set-up.
- Participate in the preparation of the annual federal FISAP report, produce reports and provide information to the director of financial aid and assistant vice president for enrollment management.
- Assist in insuring compliance with all federal and state regulations pertaining to the administration of financial aid.
- Assist in the preparation of the Office of Financial Aid’s end-of-year annual report and other statistical reports to internal and external parties. Participate in monthly reconciliation of all financial aid programs between the Financial Aid Office and Bursar’s office.
- Assist in the disbursement authorization of financial aid funds.
- Work collaboratively with members of the Enrollment Management team on projects related to financial aid processing.
- Work with units across campus to assist in developing sound, efficient processing of financial aid.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree and three years of progressively responsible experience in a financial aid office are required. Candidate must demonstrate expertise in student financial aid regulations, financial aid software, program administration and Microsoft office software. Strong communication skills, attention to detail and strong problem solving skills are essential. The ideal candidate will have experience with PowerFAIDS and also demonstrate an interest in promoting distance learning higher education to a diverse adult student population.
OTHER INFORMATION: This is a full-time, 12-month, benefits-eligible administrative position. Normal office hours of work are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This position description is not all-inclusive, as other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned.
APPLICATION INFORMATION: Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online via http://www.excelsior.edu/ecresumesubmission , or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Assistant Director of Financial Aid, FAMS Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population