Assistant Director of Medical Services
Nestled in a beautiful valley in the western Southern Tier of New York State, Alfred State College has a long tradition of attracting the finest faculty and staff and offers outstanding educational opportunities in more than 70 programs. Project-based learning is a cornerstone of our Alfred State culture. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think.
The Assistant Director of Medical Services functions as both a supervisor and clinician providing optimal care to Alfred State students/patients. Primary responsibilities include providing direct care to patients; providing supervision and direction to nursing staff. The Assistant Director works under the clinical supervision of the contracted Medical Director (M.D.) and under the administrative supervision of the Senior Director of Health and Wellness. The Assistant Director will develops standards of nursing performance and suggests and implement innovative enhancements to medical care of student patients. The Asst. Director will work collaboratively with other members of the Center for Health and Wellness, the Medical Director, other area health care professionals, to enhance the quality of patient care within the Alfred State student community.
The Assistant Director will be trained in the diagnosis and treatment of commonly encountered medical problems of a college-aged population, thereby extending the Medical Director’s (physician under contract) capacity to provide medical care, freeing the physician to deal with more complex issues.
The Assistant Director will assist the physician in all aspects of patient care and will be responsible for appropriate documentation, examination, procedures, tests or ordering of tests and procedures in a logical fashion. The Assistant Director will attend and participate in office meetings and/or appropriate conferences.
The Assistant Director of Medical Services will work toward the following objectives:
• Consistency of clinical services to our students
• Effective medical supervision to nursing staff
• Effective medical supervision to athletic training staff
• Ensure medical compliance in accordance with NCAA medical standards
• Provide medical services that reduce the amount of emergency room trips
• Provide medical services that reduce student travel or lost class time to see their medical provider
• Receive weekly supervision and consultation from our Medical Director (approximate 7 hours per week).
• Collaborate with Counseling Services staff in the area of diagnosis, treatment, and assist in appropriate referrals when needed.
• Work closely with the Senior Director of Health & Wellness Services
• Assist in the development, implementation, and assessment of preventative and educational health and wellness programs for our campus population. Participate in Student Learning Outcome Assessments will be completed in order to know the effectiveness of the programming.
NYS certification as Nurse Practitioner and/OR NYS certification/registered as a Physician’s Assistant. Evidence of success in clinical setting (positive work experience).
Demonstrated progression of increasing levels of responsibility and independence of work. Prior experience in higher-education setting.
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to drug and criminal background checks.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
Interested applicants will need to attach a resume and cover letter of interest when applying.