Provost / Vice President of Instruction and Student Services
Provost / Vice President of Instruction & Student Services
Clackamas Community College
APPLICATIONS ARE RECEIVED ONLINE ONLY AT: https://clackamas.peopleadmin.com/postings/3172
Location: Oregon City Campus
Job Close Date: To ensure full consideration, application materials should be received no later than February 14, 2014. The position will remain open until filled. This is a confidential search process.
The Vice President of Instruction and Student Services is part of the senior executive team along with the Vice President of College Services. This individual works closely with the leadership of the College and the College Foundation to support students in achieving their academic and professional goals and having a positive student experience.
The Vice President collaborates closely with the Vice President of College Services, and provides leadership for, and administers all instructional, workforce development, academic support, and student services programs. This position ensures that the College is effective in its use of resources to achieve its mission and that instruction and student services optimally support student learning and success.
The Vice President is key in sustaining a positive sense of community on campus through careful and consistent communication, thoughtful behavior, and collaborative relationships with all Clackamas Community College constituents.
The Vice President provides the leadership necessary to serve future student learning needs in lower division transfer, career technical education, essential skills and lifelong learning. The position currently leads a team of four Deans responsible for the Divisions of: Arts & Sciences; Technology, Health Occupations and Workforce, Harmony and Wilsonville Campuses; Academic Foundations and Connections; and, Curriculum, Planning and Research.
Primary Areas of Accountability:
- Assists the president as necessary; assumes and effectively performs other duties as assigned.
District Wide Leadership
- Promotes and participates actively in College governance, including serving as a member of the President’s Executive Team and leading Instruction and Student Services.
- Provides leadership and executive level support to the college in establishing and achieving its strategic plans in collaboration with managers, faculty, and staff.
- Articulates College vision, mission, values, and areas of focus.
- Provides leadership in the accreditation self-study process and maintain accreditation standards.
- Guides the establishment and successfully implements procedures for assessing services and programs in collaboration with managers, faculty, and staff.
- Assists/leads in developing and negotiating collective bargaining agreements and is responsible, with the Dean of Human Resources, for their administration and maintenance.
- Promotes practices that improve diversity, and ensures that all assigned areas and staff implement the College’s affirmative action and equal opportunity policies and goals in a timely manner. This includes recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce.
- Develops and supports a collaborative, entrepreneurial organizational climate and supports staff in achieving the College’s mission.
- Champions a climate of continuous improvement within the College.
- Is accessible, visible and proactive on the campuses and in the community, and represents the college internally and externally.
Instruction and Student Services Leadership
- Promotes and ensures high quality instructional programs and services consistent with accreditation standards and best practices.
- Leads the development of comprehensive community college curricula that is responsive to the needs of the region, including technical, academic, workforce, and basic skills.
- Ensures that Instruction and Student Services optimally support the College’s mission.
- Provides leadership and direction for Instruction and Student Services by establishing objectives, scope of service, structure, and staffing.
- Effectively collaborates with multiple college constituents, including faculty, students, administrators, staff, Board of Education, business and industry representatives, donors, etc.
- Develops the Instruction and Student Services team by coaching, mentoring, facilitating, and supporting professional development.
- Leads budget development, links assessment, and monitors outcomes of the Instruction and Student Services budget.
- Leads the continuous improvement of comprehensive community college academic support, student and workforce services.
Demonstrated leadership ability
- Models collaborative leadership style with the ability to work closely and collegially with faculty, staff, administrative colleagues, and the Board of Education.
- Envisions the future and communicate that vision.
- Communicates effectively. Hold difficult conversations with emotional intelligence. Presents information in audience appropriate terms.
- Manages others effectively by setting clear expectations, delegating, and building capabilities.
- Manages capacity of the institution strategically.
- Maintains a sense of humor.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage with fairness and transparency.
The education and/or work experience sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications. The information on the cover letter/resume will not substitute for the completed application.
MINIMUM/MANDATORY EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Master’s degree required, with progressively responsible administrative leadership experience in higher education. At least five years of progressively responsible leadership and management experience reporting to senior level leadership. Responsibility for instructional leadership, workforce and economic development services and a comprehensive and ever changing student services environment.
Must have demonstrated experience in the following:
- Large public or non-profit education sector experiencing accelerated change;
- Technology innovation as a means of enhancing or transforming the learning/service environment;
- Supporting collaborative systems that promote communication and transparency;
- Working within large scale organizations;
- Leadership across traditional academic, career technical, workforce development/business services, and student development services;
- Demonstrated skill and informed commitment to promote and enhance diversity and cultural competency is expected
Valid Driver’s License
Doctorate degree in education-related field.
The physical demands listed below represent those that must be met by an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, bend, kneel, stoop, communicate, reach and manipulate objects. The position requires mobility. Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 5 pounds on a regular basis such as files, books, office equipment, etc., and may infrequently require moving materials weighing up to 15 pounds. Manual dexterity and coordination are required less than 50% of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, calculator, and standard office equipment.
The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Usual office working conditions. The noise level in the work area is typical of most office environments with telephones, personal interruptions, and background noises.
Responsible for over 250 and seldom over 500 FTE directly and through subordinate supervisors.
Works under the general direction of the President.
To apply for this position, please visit: https://clackamas.peopleadmin.com/postings/3172
Clackamas Community College is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action / ADA Institution embracing diversity.