SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER - Tufts Technology Services
Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization dedicated to the strategic planning, implementation, and support of technology products and services that anticipate and meet the academic, research, and business needs of the Tufts community. TTS offers technical leadership and services to our customers with a focus on providing innovative solutions, delivering exceptional customer service, and creating a reliable infrastructure that demonstrates value to the students, faculty, staff, and alumni of Tufts University. TTS works in partnership with schools, business units, and other academic support organizations to provide campus-wide IT services in the areas of academic and research technology, enterprise application systems and services, networking and telecommunications, information security, data center operations, web services, classroom and computer lab technology support, and user support, training and outreach.
Educational & Scholarly Technology Services (ESTS), a directorate within TTS, enables the university and its diverse academic communities to realize their vast potential in teaching, learning, and scholarship through the innovative design and meaningful integration of technology to meet broad and local goals. ESTS works with Tufts' schools and faculty to plan, develop and integrate technology to address their educational and scholarly objectives by providing a broad range of programs and services including consultation, technology planning, software design and development, and project management.
Reporting directly to the Manager, ESTS Technology Services, the Senior Software Engineer, under minimal supervision, develops, implements and tests application software principally in Java, and should have an understanding of an additional scripting language such as Ruby or PHP. As part of the multidisciplinary ESTS Technology Services Team (TST), the Senior Software Engineer works in an agile way on a range of complex projects as a team member or project lead, developing and extending software and services that enhance teaching, learning, research, and collaboration across the university. These services include web-based applications such as Trunk (built on the Sakai CLE), Spark, the Tufts Digital Library (built on Fedora Commons), Corpora, and the Tufts Geospatial Data Repository (facilitating data discovery and download via Solr and GeoServer). The Senior Software Engineer builds applications based on specifications and contributes to all aspects of application development, including architecture, automated test development, and deployment. The Senior Software Engineer also investigates new software, development technologies, and approaches that enhance development team effectiveness and address academic technology challenges and opportunities across the university.
- 5+ years of related experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Solid experience with all aspects of the software development cycle from analysis through evaluation and documentation
- Strong time management skills and the ability to manage multiple, concurrent tasks
- Flexibility, and the ability to work effectively in a dynamic, collaborative environment
- Resourcefulness in approaching new software engineering challenges
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience working with open source platforms and communities
- Experience with distributed version control, search technologies such as Solr and ElasticSearch, Ruby on Rails, HTML5, and mobile application development frameworks highly desirable.
- Experience in a higher education environment
- Experience working with design, accessibility, usability, and/or user experience (UX) specialists and processes
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
- Project demands, regular technology maintenance, and unanticipated technical outages occasionally require extended work that may be outside of normal business hours.
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.