Associate Vice President and Chief Compliance Officer
As one of the fastest growing nonprofit universities in the nation, Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU) offers nearly 200 certificate, undergraduate and graduate programs in business, culinary arts, teacher education, hospitality management and liberal arts on campus, online and at our regional centers. SNHU, at No. 12, was the only university to make Fast Company's 2012 list of the World's 50 Most Innovative Companies and is a repeat winner of the Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" award. At Southern New Hampshire University we routinely go above and beyond what is expected of us. We believe there are no limits to what you can do, what you can be and what you can achieve. Come be a part of innovation and education!
The Associate Vice President promotes an institutional tone and culture of integrity and ethical decision making and is responsible for the day to day coordination of University compliance efforts. This position reports administratively to the Chief Administrative Officer, with functional reporting and as needed access to the Senior Management Team of the Board of Trustees Audit and Finance Committees.
Essential duties and responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Develops, leads and continually evaluates through internal policy or regulatory assessment/reviews the Institution-wide compliance program, promoting adherence to all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, and University policies, standards and procedures
- Formulates and communicates compliance strategies, goals, and objectives as well as a strategic vision for compliance that effectively manages and mitigates risk, consistent with University risk tolerances while identifying bench-marking compliance monitoring practices, implementation strategies and corrective action plans to resolve issues
- Participate in administrative and academic management teams to provide consultative guidance on matters of regulatory compliance throughout all areas of the University, working to develop cross functional relationships and foster education
- Improves compliance practices through systematic and ongoing risk assessment conducted in coordination with Senior Leadership and the network of University compliance liaisons in various academic and administrative units to provide leadership and build consensus on compliance priorities campus-wide
- Coordinates complex compliance activities within a decentralized environment, establishing common performance reporting, compliance monitoring framework, and consistent codes of conduct
- Develops and delivers training courses and communication related to federal or state laws and other compliance related matters as identified in collaboration with Senior Leadership to enhance internal compliance awareness and adherence to regulations, rules and policies
- Identifies evolving compliance regulations and priorities to strategically align compliance functions to ensure that the University meets both its current and future obligations
- Coordinates the interaction between the University and its accreditor in the maintenance of its regional accreditation and in the development of change requests required
- Masters degree in Business, Education Administration or related field or a JD and 4 to 7 years experience in higher education responding to regulatory issues and the development and interpretation of policies, rules or regulations
- Ability to work cooperatively with University academic and administrative leaders
- Excellent project management skills
- Demonstrated leadership and teamwork abilities, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good sense of diplomacy and capacity to work effectively under pressure and respond appropriately in crisis situations