Financial Aid Specialist - M Center
Financial Aid Specialist – M Center
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Mills College is a nationally respected independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for both women and men. Located on 135 lush acres in the foothills of Oakland, California, the College enrolls approximately 946 undergraduate women and 597 graduate women and men. Consistently ranked one of the top colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report and one of the “Best 377 Colleges” by The Princeton Review, Mills provides a dynamic liberal arts education fostering women’s leadership, social responsibility, and creativity.
The Financial Aid Specialist provides professional administrative and clerical support to the M Center and assists in the administration of federal, state, and/or institutional financial aid programs. The M Center provides one-stop service for students in the areas of financial aid, academic records, student billing, and student accounts. The successful applicant must have excellent customer service skills, be extremely attentive to detail, and be able to complete tasks and projects accurately and efficiently in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment.
• Providing administrative support to the M Center;
• Responding to a large volume of student and parent inquiries related to financial aid, academic records, student billing and student accounts;
• Training, supervising and coordinating work schedules for student employees;
• Opening mail and managing the distribution of documents using an online tracking system;
• Developing and maintaining inventory control systems for forms, documents, and supplies;
• Generating award letters;
• Managing the data exchange process with the U.S. Department of Education;
• Advising graduate and undergraduate students regarding financial aid application procedures, program requirements, and methodology used to determine eligibility;
• Assisting with the administration of federal, state, and/or institutional financial aid programs;
• Assisting with the awarding of federal, state, and/or institutional financial aid;
• Assisting with registration and adding/dropping of courses as needed;
• Assisting with special projects; and
• Performing other duties as assigned.
• Associate Degree and at least two years of administrative experience, preferably in a Financial Aid department, or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of MS Office Suite and database systems;
• Excellent organizational skills and record-keeping techniques;
• Ability to complete tasks accurately and efficiently;
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines in an environment of frequent interruptions;
• Ability to work independently and exercise appropriate initiative;
• Ability to exercise appropriate judgment, tact, patience, and diplomacy in working with a diverse student population and with confidential information;
• Ability to be flexible and work collaboratively as part of a team in a small, fast-paced, service-oriented department;
• Proven record of dependability and regular attendance;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment; and
• Ability to establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all persons contacted during the course of job performance.
SALARY: Competitive salary based on experience, plus an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403(b) retirement plan, 10 days vacation the first year plus 12 sick days, and 13 paid holidays annually. Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills’ non-discrimination policy, pleased go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
To apply, please go to:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and the contact information for three references, and the Mills College Application Form.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, and reviewed as they are received.
MILLS COLLEGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Reasonable accommodations to enable participation in the selection process may be requested by qualified disabled individuals by writing to the above address, or by calling (510) 430-2282.