Police Officer Recruit - 31406 Classified Staff Description University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus Department: University Police Department Job Title: Police Officer Recruit Position: # 00777341 Requisition: # 31406 Job Summary:
In this full-time, Classified position as a Police Officer Recruit, you will enforce the law in order to protect persons and property; prevent, detect, and solve crimes; and maintain order. By statute, positions are commissioned as peace officers. Work involves the following: exercising powers of custody and arrest; restraining citizens suspected of unlawful behavior; detecting criminal activity investigation complaints and incidents; interviewing witnesses; gathering evidence; responding to emergencies and requests for assistance; providing traffic and crowd control; writing appropriate reports and citations; preparing cases for prosecution by the district attorney by executing warrants; and testifying in court proceedings. The work may involve conducting safety training; providing first aid; and providing security escort service. Some positions may perform work in police programs such as crime prevention, community relations, or drug awareness.
While completing the initial field training program, tasks are performed under direct supervision and detailed instruction and guidance is received.
The University Police Department will not
put candidates through the Police Academy; therefore, it is required that the incumbent in this position be P.O.S.T. certified at the time of application. Out-of-state officers, who currently reside in Colorado and whose certification has been transferred to Colorado P.O.S.T. are also encouraged to apply. Key Responsibilities: Patrol:
Conducts foot and vehicular patrol to detect and deter criminal activity. Contacts and identifies persons on reports of criminal or suspicious activity. Arrests, books, and transports suspects or prisoners. Initiates emergency procedures on gravely disabled persons. Assists other law enforcement by serving arrest warrants, directing traffic, collecting evidence, covering officers on emergency calls near the campus etc. Testify in court. Investigation:
Process crime scenes by collecting and preserving evidence, interviewing suspects, victims, and witnesses. Conduct investigative follow-ups. Conduct special or target investigations to apprehend criminals or deter crime (i.e., special patrols of bike racks, parking lots or buildings where frequent crimes have occurred). Prepare case documents and evidence for prosecution through the district attorney. Testify in court. Traffic:
Direct traffic for routine activities, special assignments, and emergencies. Conduct traffic enforcement, DUI investigations, and parking enforcement. Investigating traffic accidents. Testify in court. Report Writing:
Write criminal offense reports, custody reports, incident reports, field interviews, traffic accident reports, criminal traffic citations, and other reports as required. Review reports written by subordinates for content, clarity, and completeness. Emergency Response:
Respond to all intrusion, panic, and other system alarms. Respond to all fire calls, chemical spills, bomb threats, and other hazardous situations. Evacuate people, coordinate and assist emergency response units. Respond to medical and other emergency calls. Maintains an adequate level of fitness to respond to both emergent and non-emergent situations. Service Calls and Special Assignments:
Escorts persons. Access areas to authorized persons. Provide motorist assistance. Perform public speaking on topics such as crime prevention, campus orientation, and the mission of the University Police Department. Provide police protection for visiting dignitaries. Work graduations, other ceremonies, special events and public gatherings. Training:
Participate in training in criminal law and procedure, firearms, first aid and CPR, hazardous materials, chemical weapons, impact weapons, KOGA and so forth. Maintain proficiency and certification in required skills. Computer Utilization and Data Entry
: Utilize police and law enforcement computers and software programs for reports, information on suspects, crimes, significant incidents, intelligence, and investigations. Work Location: Onsite
– this role is expected to work onsite and is located in Aurora, CO Why Join Us:
If you like community policing, building relationships with those you serve and having a healthy work-life balance, then we have just the job for you. Come join us as a police officer at the CU Anschutz Medical Campus (www.cuanschutz.edu
.), the largest academic health center in the Rocky Mountain region. You'll have an important job – protecting those who protect others through ground-breaking, life-saving research that's at the forefront of transformative education, science, medicine, and healthcare.
As a patrol officer on campus, you need to have all the state-mandated training as other law enforcement officers and be prepared for any situation. But we're not bouncing from call to call for the entire shift. In fact, we have the time to walk around campus and build relationships with the students, faculty, staff and visitors who make our campus special. That's one of the reasons a recent survey shows that the majority of campus constituents support our Police Department
and three-quarters feel safe or very safe here. Diversity and Equity:
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty, and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons within the LGBTQ+ community and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment. Qualifications: Please include the following in your resume for consideration: Job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours worked per week as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Minimum Qualifications: Current, valid Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certification. One (1) year of experience in an occupational field related to the work assigned to the position. Substitutions:
· 30 college credits in criminal justice or a related field from an accredited institution (Transcripts required
Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application. Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire. Preferred Qualifications:
· Experience accessing and utilizing CCIC/NCIC (Colorado and National Crime Information Center data), ARMS (Automated Records Management System), or similar law enforcement records management system(s)
· Bilingual / Multilingual
· Associate's degree or higher in criminal justice or a related field (Transcripts required
). Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Highly developed analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to quickly make decisions and accept responsibility under pressure.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Professionalism, leadership skills, and organizational integrity.
· Environmental awareness.
· Good physical strength and agility.
· Advanced technical and professional police knowledge, including knowledge of federal, state, local, and University laws, rules, regulations, procedures, and processes; law enforcement information systems; incident management systems; investigative principles and procedures; court decisions that relate to policing; criminal laws and procedures; and on-going interrelated knowledge in the areas of firearms, first aid, CPR hazardous materials, chemical weapons, etc.
· Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
· Outstanding customer service skills.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Experience using Microsoft Word and Outlook
· Demonstrated commitment and ability to advance diversity and inclusion. Conditions of Employment / Necessary Special Qualifications: Current Colorado POST certification is required at time of hire. Candidates in a POST Academy are encouraged to apply within 60 days of graduation date. Must be at least 21 years of age. Must have no felony convictions or domestic violence history. Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado driver's license and have acquired no more than seven points in the last year and/or no more than 12 points within the last two years; no alcohol-related traffic offenses in the last three years; and no repeat alcohol offenses. Must be able to speak and comprehend English fluently. Must be willing and able to work rotating and/or straight shifts, weekends, and holidays; stay over late or come in early to cover shifts; and provide off-hour contact information to be accessible during non-work hours in case of emergencies or to cover unscheduled staffing shortages. Persons in this position must remain in such physical condition that they can successfully complete required job performance testing. Applicants will be required to pass a Police Department Background Check which may include one or all of the following: Personnel History Questionnaire, Integrity Interview, Polygraph Examination, Finger Print Check, Drug Screen, Credit/Civil Check, Criminal History and Driving Infractions Check, Reference Checks, and Post-Conditional Offer Pre-Placement Physical and Psychological Examination.
Please Note: This is an essential services position. The incumbent is required to respond after hours during emergencies and report to work for a regular assigned shift during emergency campus closures. How to Apply:
Questions should be directed to: Kenyari Jones, Kenyari.email@example.com Application Materials Instructions:
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 18th
To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting: A resume that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines your qualifications, a cover letter, and unofficial college transcripts if applicable. Special Instructions to Applicants
Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting and include a current email address and phone number. Please address minimum qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your cover letter, as these along with previous work experience will be used in the assessment process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions: https://www.cu.edu/cu-careers/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. Candidates will be evaluated and rated against the preferred qualifications based on information submitted within their application materials. Note: Candidates are not physically present for this portion of the comparative analysis. Interviews based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses Interviews may be over the phone, videoconference or in-person
You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above. Anticipated Pay Range:
The starting annual salary for this position has been established at: $68,000 External candidates are eligible for a one-time non-base-building hiring bonus of $5,000. Half will be paid upon start and half will be paid at completion of the Field Training Officer program.
The above hiring range represents the University's good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
The University of Colorado offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, tuition benefits, ECO pass, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays and more. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits-wellness
. ADA Statement:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
​. Background Check Statement:
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students, and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Vaccination Statement:
CU Anschutz strongly encourages vaccination against the COVID-19 virus and other vaccine preventable diseases
. If you work, visit, or volunteer in healthcare facilities or clinics operated by our affiliated hospital or clinical partners or by CU Anschutz, you will be required to comply with the vaccination and medical surveillance policies of the facilities or clinics where you work, visit, or volunteer, respectively. In addition, if you work in certain research areas or perform certain safety sensitive job duties, you must enroll in the occupational health medical surveillance program
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s) Job Category
: Public Safety/Enforcement and Protective Services Primary Location
: Aurora Department: U0001 -- Anschutz Med Campus or Denver - 20672 - ADM AFEVC University Police Schedule
: Full-time Posting Date
: Dec 4, 2023 Unposting Date
: Dec 19, 2023, 6:59:00 AM Position Number: 00777341
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency