Bridgewater College seeks a full-time Senior Accountant. The Senior Accountant prepares internal and external financial statements and reports, analyzes financial statement activity, performs accounting research to determine the appropriate accounting treatment based on GAAP, and generates ad hoc reports. Additionally, they will maintain and balance subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, posting, and reconciling transactions and resolving discrepancies.
- Remain current with new accounting standards and updates issued by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB). Continually update Management on changes that will impact Bridgewater College. Efficiently perform accounting research to determine the appropriate accounting treatment for routine and special transactions.
- Prepare and enter routine and non-routine journal entries.
- Maintain general ledger – establish new accounts, assign budget officers, assist budget managers and other staff in correctly assigning general ledger numbers to authorized transactions. Generally, ensure the reliability of the College’s financial records through diligent oversight of general ledger accounting.
- Develop and ensure adherence to appropriate internal controls over financial records and transactions.
- Prepare financial statements including the Statement of Financial Position, Statement of Activities and Statement of Cash Flows - quarterly for unaudited internal use and annually for audit by the College’s independent audit firm and other statement users. Draft financial statements and footnotes/disclosures prepared for the independent auditors within six weeks of the fiscal year-end.
- In addition to financial statement drafts, prepare documentation for and generally support annual financials.
- Remain current with the accounting standards required for higher education and nonprofit organizations, through continuous professional development and training.
- Prepare routine and ad hoc reports for internal use by the administration, using appropriate formats and understandable narratives for various audiences.
- Reconcile bank accounts and general ledger accounts.
- Collect data and prepare reports for external surveys.
- Maintain and monitor the financial investments of the College.
- Ensure compliance with institutional, state, and federal policies, procedures, and regulations. Maintain and document rigorous compliance processes.
- Perform self-checks to spot inconsistencies in accounting work and quickly uncover errors in both computation and application of accounting principles.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a closely related field required.
- Three years’ related work experience. Higher education experience is beneficial.
- Experience with Ellucian Colleague preferred.
- Relevant experience in the preparation and interpretation of nonprofit financial statements, preferably for college or university.
- Demonstrated competency in business writing – proposals, memos, and succinct financial analysis narratives.
- Proficient, experienced user of MS Office – Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint – and one or more financial accounting systems.
Pay is competitive, and salary is commensurate with experience. This full-time position offers a full benefits package, including paid tuition at the College for eligible dependents.
GENERAL INFORMATION: Bridgewater College was founded in 1880 as a coeducational liberal arts college to serve the local community. Located in the scenic Shenandoah Valley, just minutes outside of Harrisonburg and within driving distance of Charlottesville, Washington D.C., and Richmond, Bridgewater is home to approximately 1,400 full-time students from 26 states and 19 countries. Bridgewater students study across 60 majors and minors, in addition to four graduate programs and 10 pre-professional programs. Bridgewater College is an NCAA DIII school with approximately 40 percent of its students participating in intercollegiate athletics on 23 teams. To learn more about Bridgewater College, visit: bridgewater.edu
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Emailhumanresources@bridgewater.edu
APPLY: Please complete the online application at www.bridgewater.edu/careers, supplying a resume and cover letter demonstrating your interest and ability, along with names and contact information of three references. Please direct queries to Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org)
DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
COMMITMENT TO EQUAL OPPORTUNITY: Bridgewater College, an equal opportunity provider and employer, is a welcoming and vibrant community committed to supporting a diverse workforce and actively seeks applications from women, minorities, and other persons from traditionally underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Non-Discrimination Notice: https://www.bridgewater.edu/legal/non-discrimination-notice/
ANNUAL SECURITY REPORT AND ANNUAL FIRE SAFETY REPORT: The Bridgewater College Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report summarizes policies on campus security and personal safety, crime prevention, fire safety, and crime reporting, and includes crime and fire statistics for the past three years:
To request a printed copy, please call 540-828-5761