Assistant/Associate Professor of EducationDepartment:
Academic AffairsFLSA Status:
Full-time FacultySupervisor Title:
Chair, Department of EducationStatus:
Full-time Tenure-Track Faculty Tenure Track:
The Department of Education in the School of Education and Health Sciences at North Central College (Naperville, IL) is searching for a highly qualified/experienced educational professional to engage in a tenure-track Assistant/Associate position in Education beginning Fall 2024. The position may be offered with tenure to a qualified candidate. Appointment above the rank of assistant professor will be based on candidate qualifications and scholarly record. The successful candidate will teach courses in the undergraduate education program with opportunities in graduate programs.Employment Conditions:
North Central College values diversity, equity and inclusion and strongly encourages candidates who would enrich the diversity of the campus community to apply.
Expertise is highly preferred in areas such as special education, English language learners, educational assessment, supporting students (K-12) and their families with a focus on strengths, quantitative assessment and analysis, and successful cultivation of clinical partnerships.
● Doctoral degree (Ph.D. or Ed.D.) in education from an accredited institution of higher education
● Teaching certificate with a minimum of 2 years of teaching experience
● Demonstrated ability in teaching anti-bias anti-racist, culturally sustaining and revitalizing, and/or culturally responsive pedagogies.
● Strong understanding of developmentally appropriate, evidence-based practices in diverse educational settings; experience with student-centered and inclusive pedagogy and practices for supporting students with a range of levels.
● Demonstrated ability in communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills, including commitment to inclusion, social justice and equity, and culturally responsive and universally designed instruction, as well as collaboration, collegiality, and respect for all people
● Demonstrated commitment to working with multiple stakeholders, P-12 schools, and underrepresented groups of children.
● A teaching/learning philosophy consistent with the mission of the NCC College of Education.
● An active scholarship agenda that fits within the context of a teaching institution or evidence of impressive scholarship promise
● A record of excellence in teaching and mentoring of students
Additional Preferred Qualifications that will Advance Consideration:
● A teaching certificate in special education and 2 or more years of teaching experience in inclusive P-12 settings
● A teaching endorsement in EL/ESL/Bi-lingual education and 2 or more years of teaching experience in multilingual school environments
● Three or more years of experience in higher education teaching
● Experience in clinical supervision and/or coordination of supervision
● Experience with multiple forms of formal and informal assessment and the evaluation of stakeholders and educational environments.
● Advocacy related to access, success, and equity issues in education
● Experience working with diverse student populations and communities
● Experience teaching in multiple formats (including in-person, online, and hybrid)
● Experience with program coordination or a willingness to lead at the program level.
Starting Date: August 1, 2024
Salary: Commensurate with experience, qualifications, and rank
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Preferred consideration to applicants submitted by December 15, 2023.
Founded in 1861, North Central College is a nationally recognized institution located in Naperville, IL, a thriving suburb just west of Chicago. North Central College was named a “Great College to Work For” by The Chronicle of Higher Education five times in six years. The College was most recently recognized in two categories: Teaching Environment and Tenure Clarity and Process. North Central College offers bachelor’sthrough doctoral and professional programs in person and online to 3,000 students through its campus in Naperville, Illinois. Naperville is one of the Midwest’s best places to live, according to Money magazine, is consistently ranked the #1 “Safest City in America” byniche.com, and is rated one of the “50 Safest College Towns in America” according to Safewise. Naperville is also home to highly ranked school districts. North Central College is within walking distance of the Naperville Metra station with easy access to Chicago and its surrounding suburbs. The College is in a period of growth with the addition of a $60 million Science Center (2017), and a new Health Sciences and Engineering building (2020). The Education department was a recent recipient of one of the largest private grants to the College ($3.2 million dollars).
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy and contact information for three professional references in an electronic format to https://northcentralcollege.peopleadmin.com/postings/12056. For further information, contact Dr. Lindsay Wexler, search committee chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of the College’s background screening process.Number of Vacancies:
North Central College is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce. North Central College provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation, please notify the Office of Human Resource. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
Applicants who would enrich the diversity of the campus community are strongly encouraged to apply.