The Program of Adult Literacy Services (PALS) Adjunct for English Language Learners (ELL) or Adult Basic/Secondary Education (GED preparation) will teach part-time on campus or at off-site locations. The PALS instructor will implement and adhere to the standards set forth by the MD Department of Labor (MD DOL) and Hagerstown Community College Program of Adult Literacy Services (PALS).
- Create a classroom learning environment in which assigned students make measurable progress toward identified educational goals as indicated by the successful completion of lessons aligned to the English Language Proficiency Standards and the Maryland Content Standards for Adult ESL/ESOL or ABE/ASE students.
- Provide instruction in a variety of methods to include whole group, small group, and individualized instruction consistent with approved curriculum.
- Plan and organize time, in advance, to provide for effective instruction.
- Use formal and informal assessment tools to provide reliable and valid appraisal of student skills and achievement.
- Maintain and submit program and instructional records in an accurate and timely manner.
- Create a physical and interpersonal climate that is conducive to learning.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
BS or BA (with TESOL certification for ELL instruction) or MS or MA preferred. Training and experience in Adult Education preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Organizational skills, a self-directed work ethic, and a demonstrated teaching effectiveness is required. Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff, and administrators is necessary.