English: Contract Instructor-College Credit
San Diego Community College District
San Diego City College
Applications are now being accepted for the position of Assistant Professor of English at San Diego City College beginning August 2024. Assignments may include some combination of day, evening, Saturday, remote/hybrid and/or off campus classes.
One of three colleges in the San Diego Community College District, City College is an urban campus dedicated to the precepts of Social Justice, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. City College provides academic and vocational offerings to meet the needs of a diverse student population. The college is minutes away from the world-class San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, and Chicano Park. While the current vacancy is at City College, applicants should understand that they are subject to assignment at any District facility at the option of the Chancellor.
Reporting to the Dean of Arts, Humanities, Communication, & Telecommunication, the incumbent would be a member of the English department teaching primarily English composition courses withopportunities to teach literature and creative writing courses, serving on and/or chairing department and campus committees, maintaining appropriate records and reports, and participating actively in the work of the department, college, and district. The college encourages and supports professionalgrowth, with an emphasis on equity-minded and student-centered practices, consistent with the mission of the college.
Master’s in English, literature, comparative literature, or compositionOR
Bachelor’s in any of the aboveAND
Master’s in linguistics, TESL, speech, education with a specialization in reading, creative writing or
- Ability and desire to effectively teach varying course levels to community college students in classes both on and off campus consisting of native and non-native speakers of English.
- Ability to create effective lessons incorporating innovative and culturally relevant pedagogy, andragogy, instruction, methodologies, and technology in the teaching of composition
- Ability and desire to assume some District and/or campus program coordination and to work collaboratively with faculty, Classified Professionals, and administrators.
- Commitment to ongoing Professional Development
- Knowledge of San Diego City College’s Mission and commitment to social justice and the responsibilities of faculty in realizing this mission, including, but not limited to, building bridges between our college and the communities we serve.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of working with students of great diversity in socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientation and gender expression/identity, including those with different levels of academic preparation and varying physical and learning abilities.
- Ability and desire to assume department leadership in areas including, but not limited to, curriculum, professional development, mentoring, and other duties that support the success of the department.
- Experience and/or interest in teaching, supporting, and strengthening campus equity learning communities such as AAPI, Hermanos Unidos/Brothers United (HUBU), Puente and UMOJA.
- Ability to constructively navigate conflict or disagreements with students, colleagues, Classified Professionals, and administrators.
Class 1, Step C – Class 6, Step C ($6,652.70 – $8,490.72) per month based on the current AFT – College Faculty Tenured-Tenure Track Monthly Salary Schedule
Initial salary placement for this Assistant Professor is commensurate with required education and related teaching experience as outlined in section A2.1 of the AFT Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement
and it is non-negotiable.
The District offers a comprehensive fringe benefit package including employer paid medical, dental, vision plans, sick leave, and opportunities for professional development. This position is FLSA Exempt and may not accrue overtime. Benefits will be provided under the terms of the AFT-Guild, Local 1931 – Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement. Annual Salaries will be recalculated for service less than a full academic year based on Education Code §87815, any required adjustment will be made within the first pay period. Travel reimbursement for interviewees traveling more than 200 miles, one-way, may be paid according to geographic location (see SDCCD Travel Stipend Policy, Rev 7/14/2011). Typically, Assistant Professors earn tenure after 4 years and promote to Associate Professor. The SDCCD Employment Web Page provides a link to employee collective bargaining agreements and handbooks, and more information about terms and conditions of employment to include salary and benefits.
To apply, visit: https://www.sdccdjobs.com
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency