Child Development/Early Childhood Education: Contract Instructor-College Credit
San Diego Community College District
San Diego Miramar College
San Diego Miramar College, a student-ready college, invites all qualified candidates to apply for the position of Child Development Contract Faculty. Miramar College, a leader in providing student access and success, seeks candidates who are motivated by serving students in a college community and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
We are a fast‐growing and innovative college with a freshly adopted focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion as we move into a new era. Recently designated as an emerging Minority Serving Institution (MSI) the College is committed to helping students access higher education and achieve success inside and outside the classroom.
The College is located in the Mira Mesa/Scripps Ranch area of San Diego and is one of four colleges/centers in the San Diego Community College District. Our student population
of 14,193 [African American (5%), Native American (1%), Asian (14%), Filipino (7%), Latinx (30%), Multiple Ethnicities (8%), Pacific Islander (1%), White (32%), Unreported (2%)], is reflective of the diverse community we serve.In addition to expertise in their field, San Diego Miramar College seeks applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to support our diverse student populations. Additionally, candidates should be able to demonstrate ways they will develop tools and resources to better serve historically marginalized and minoritized populations
. We strongly encourage candidates who possess the experience for the position, and who are student-centered and continue to demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) to best serve our student population.Those who join our team at San Diego Miramar College can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative, and equity-focused community that promotes broad collaboration among faculty, classified professionals, administration, students, and community and industry partners. We are proud of our commitment to create a socially just and responsive culture, host ethnically diverse speakers, and support various equity-focused professional development opportunities. Our college strives to ensure that students reach their full potential by eliminating gaps in academic outcomes that traditionally hinder students of color and disproportionately impacted students. In fact, the college's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is encapsulated by our newly adopted Strategic Goal #5:Miramar College Strategic Goal #5Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) - Build an environment that embraces diversity, equity, inclusion, anti-racism, and social justice for the benefit of the college community.Strategic Direction 1- Systematically update college processes, programs, and practices within a comprehensive equity framework for equity-minded practices in the workplace, the classroom, and support programs/services.Strategic Direction 2- Establish comprehensive professional development for the campus community to increase capacity around and engage in equity, diversity, inclusion, social justice, and anti-racism.Strategic Direction 3-Systematically review, develop and incorporate equity-minded practices in: 1) culturally responsive instructional pedagogy, 2) student-centered services, and 3) recruitment, screening, and retention of employees.Applicants can review Miramar College's full strategic plan on Miramar College's: https://sdmiramar.edu/sites/default/files/2021-07/San_Diego_Miramar_College_Fall_2020-Spring_2027_Strategic_Plan.pdf
This position is assigned 40 hours per week. However, the schedule will vary based on class schedule and assignment, which will vary each semester. The Assistant Professor of Child Development reports to the Dean of Business, Technical Careers, and Workforce Initiatives. Major responsibilities include:
- Serve as the Center Director for the Child Development Center and Lab School.
- This assignment may rotate based on business needs. Support activities related to the operation of the Child Development Center and Lab School and serve as a liaison for our mentorship and work experience programs.
- Provide support to ensure compliance with Title 22 State Licensing Title 5 regulations and to maintain NAEYC Accreditation.
- Teach college-level lecture and laboratory courses in a variety of child development topics using traditional and alternative methods of instruction.
- Utilize instructional knowledge and methods of the discipline that enhance student learning and adapt to diverse learning styles. Advise and assist students in education and career development, including State of CA child development permits.
- Work collaboratively with department and interdisciplinary faculty to plan, develop, implement, and assess courses in the Child Development subject area that will provide technical/professional training and preparation for transfer to 4-year institutions.
- Maintain currency in the child development discipline, industry trends, and technology innovations for the development of new courses and curriculum revisions in order to meet university transfer requirements, industry objectives, and emerging occupations.
- Participate in departmental and faculty functions including program review, curriculum development, assessment of student learning outcomes, student advisement, training and evaluation of part-time faculty, and varied campus affairs including service on college-wide committees.
- Collaborate with industry, community, and professional organizations on curriculum, partnership development, and labor market needs. Serve as an active member of the district and college industry advisory boards.
- Work effectively with students from a variety of cultural, educational, and occupational backgrounds. Administer courses in the Child Development Center and Lab School.
Master’s in child development, early childhood education, human development, home economics/family and consumer studies with a specialization in child development/early childhood education, educational psychology with a specialization in child development
Bachelor’s in any of the above AND Master’s in social work, educational supervision, elementary education, special education, psychology, bilingual/bicultural education, life management/ home economics, family life studies or family and consumer studies
The District encourages all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications, outlined above, to apply for this position. The most qualified and desirable candidate will also possess additional qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience serving as a Child Development Center Director, Manager, and/or Supervisor.
- Knowledge and experience with Title 22 State Licensing Title 5 regulations and NAEYC Accreditation.
- Knowledge of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and related classroom strategies.
- Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge working with faculty, staff, and students of great diversity in socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with different levels of academic preparation and varying physical and learning abilities.
- Demonstrated cultural competency, sensitivity to, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
- Demonstrated experience with shared/participatory governance.
- Demonstrated experience creating and maintaining professional, community, and industry partnerships, including industry advisory boards.
- Experience developing industry contacts, including assessment and placement of students in related jobs.
- Demonstrated experience in creating a conducive learning environment, managing class time, and providing feedback in the classroom.
- Proficiency in designing and teaching child development courses, both lecture and laboratory, in a variety of modalities including HyFlex, hybrid, and fully online (synchronous and asynchronous).
- Ability to work collegially and collaboratively with departmental faculty, staff, and administrators. Willingness to participate in a variety of departmental and campus activities.
- Evidence of a commitment to remaining current in the discipline of child development and to maintaining program excellence.
CA State Supervisor Permit (preferred). Applicants are encouraged to list all industry-related licenses, certificates, and credentials.
Class 1, Step C – Class 6, Step C ($6,652.70 – $8,490.72) per month based on the current AFT – College Faculty Tenured-Tenure Track Monthly Salary Schedule
Initial salary placement for this Assistant Professor is commensurate with required education and related teaching experience as outlined in section A2.1 of the AFT Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement
and it is non-negotiable.
The District offers a comprehensive fringe benefit package including employer paid medical, dental, vision plans, sick leave, and opportunities for professional development. This position is FLSA Exempt and may not accrue overtime. Benefits will be provided under the terms of the AFT-Guild, Local 1931 – Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement. Annual Salaries will be recalculated for service less than a full academic year based on Education Code §87815, any required adjustment will be made within the first pay period. Travel reimbursement for interviewees traveling more than 200 miles, one-way, may be paid according to geographic location (see SDCCD Travel Stipend Policy, Rev 7/14/2011). Typically, Assistant Professors earn tenure after 4 years and promote to Associate Professor. The SDCCD Employment Web Page provides a link to employee collective bargaining agreements and handbooks, and more information about terms and conditions of employment to include salary and benefits.
To apply, visit: https://www.sdccdjobs.com
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency