Current UC employees must apply internally via SuccessFactors > http://bit.ly/UCEMPL
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati ranks among the nation’s best urban public research universities. Home to over 50,000 students, 11,000 faculty and staff and 332,000 alumni, UC combines a Top 35 public research university with a physical setting The New York Times calls “the most ambitious campus design program in the country.”
With the launch of Next Lives Here, the Cincinnati Innovation District, a $100 million JobsOhio investment, nine straight years of record enrollment, global leadership in cooperative education, a dynamic academic health center and entry into the Big 12 Conference, UC’s momentum has never been stronger. UC’s annual budget tops $1.65 billion and its endowment totals $1.8 billion.Job Overview
A post-doctoral fellow position is available at the University of Cincinnati in the research group of Professor Briana Simms for individuals with a Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Engineering, or related fields. Someone in this position will focus on the design, synthesis, and characterization of novel polymeric biomaterials that have applications in tissue engineering, wound healing, skin-related disorders, and therapeutic delivery.
The Simms Lab of Functional Biomaterials is focused on the design, synthesis, characterization, and application of novel biomaterials to address public health challenges from the benchtop. Our research is highly interdisciplinary with research arms in the fields of organic polymer synthesis, engineering, and biochemistry. Housed in the Chemistry Department of the University of Cincinnati, the Simms Lab is seeking a post-doctoral candidate with a background and training in organic synthesis, polymer chemistry, or polymer design with special interests in wound healing, tissue regeneration, skin-related disorders, and/or therapeutic delivery.
The research will focus on developing synthetic routes to degradable hydrogel and nanoparticle materials to support collaborative efforts towards addressing skin-related disorders. Research in this lab uses step-wise polymer growth techniques, ring-opening polymerizations, photopolymerizations. The post-doctoral fellow is expected to lead the efforts on polymer synthesis while integrating with students and expert collaborators in chemistry, biology, engineering, and on-campus facilities. They will also execute laboratory experiments, analyze quantitative data, write, and communicate results to the scientific community.
This is a one-year appointment with opportunity for renewal of one-year terms, contingent upon available funding and satisfactory performance.
For additional information, contact Dr. Briana L. Simms (firstname.lastname@example.org).Essential Functions
- Synthesize novel polymeric biomaterials for biomedical applications.
- Characterize polymer mechanical and viscoelastic properties.
- Publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner.
- Present research results at national scientific meetings.
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements.
- Take a position of leadership for day-to-day laboratory operations.
- Participate in project planning and execution.
- Draft, write, and edit scientific reports, papers, journal articles, abstracts, and grants.
- Present research at laboratory meetings, journal clubs, seminars, and meetings.
- Deliver on the Simms Lab mission by aligning behaviors, priorities, and interactions with our core values of leading with curiosity, designing with creativity, and building community with respect and empathy. Promote diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility by fostering a respectful workplace—in how we treat one another, work together, and measure success.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Qualifications Considered
- A PhD in polymer science and engineering, polymer chemistry, organic chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science and engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years.
- Expertise in organic/polymer synthesis and characterization methods.
- Knowledge and expertise in multi-step organic synthesis.
- Knowledge and expertise in controlled/living polymerization.
- Knowledge and expertise in mechanical and viscoelastic characterization of polymers.
- Knowledge and expertise in polymer processing and manufacturing.
- Experience generating, organizing, and analyzing large datasets.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently, safety conscious, and participate creatively in solving problems and refining projects’ directions.
- An excellent record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory.
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines and adapt to ever-changing needs.
Qualified and interested candidates must complete our online application process. In addition to the application, candidates must submit:
- Cover letter
- Current copy of their curriculum vitae
- Please submit two-three letters of reference when applying for this position. They can be emailed to email@example.com with the position title and candidate name in the subject line.
Upon receipt of application materials, selected and qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule phone/zoom interviews.Compensation and Benefits
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary range dependent on the candidate's experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP). To learn more about why UC is a great place to work, please visit our careers page at https://www.uc.edu/careers.html
. For questions about the UC recruiting process or to request accommodations with the application, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
The University of Cincinnati is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
SF:OMJ SF:RM SF:HEJ, SF:INS SF:HERC SF:DIV SF:LJN SF:IHE