Assistant/Associate Professor of Biology-Cell/Molecular/Neuro/ComputationalJob Description:
As a part of a diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews Marian University is seeking a Tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor of Biology-Cell/Molecular/Neuro/Computational to promote our Catholic Franciscan mission and identity by showing the ability to develop an undergraduate research program. Successful candidates will also foster student learning through innovative pedagogy, inclusive practices, and contributions to a “research across the curriculum” model that integrates authentic, novel research projects into introductory course for majors. Experience and/or interest in academic leadership is encouraged. This position is available to begin in either January or August of 2024.
The Department of Biology at Marian University is a collaborative and growing academic community committed to fostering student engagement, problem solving, and communication. Marian University believes that to grow stronger it is essential to recruit and retain a diverse faculty to build an inclusive community. Thus, we welcome and encourage applications across the intersection of diverse race, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientation, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, cultures, and national origins. Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institutions of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs. Marian University has been experiencing significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings in many areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values and honoring the legacy of the founding congregation through transformative education, unity in diversity, leadership through service, integrating faith and life, and institutional policies.
- Teaching Load: Teach 24 credit hours, release available for specific leadership roles.
- Demonstrate academic excellence, the potential for distinctive contributions to the holistic development of students, and actively participate in the life of the campus, and help advance the mission and values of the university.
- Engage students in research, scholarship and other professional activities.
- Mentor and advise students through academic advising, clubs, research and internship opportunities, particularly those of pre-professional or pre-medical programs.
- Participate in the life of the campus and university service, including participation in faculty governance and co-curricular programs.
- Contribute to curriculum development and assessment within the department.
- Actively participate in faculty governance within the department and across the university.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
- A Ph.D. in Biology or related field with demonstrated ability to integrate across disciplines.
- Demonstrated potential for excellence an innovation in student-centered instruction.
- Demonstrated interest in science teaching pedagogy, curriculum and program development.
- Potential for ongoing research, publication and activity in professional associations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
- For appointment as Associate Professor, evidence of sustained excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service as well as experience commensurate with the criteria for Associate Professor according to the Marian University Faculty Handbook.
Review of applications will begin November 1, 2023, and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a cover letter, a current CV, contact information for three references, and responses to supplemental mission questions.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.Posting Number:
P123FOpen Until Filled:
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please Review Marian University’s Mission & Identity Statement before responding to the supplementary questions on your application:Quick Link for Internal Postings: