Clinical Assistant Professor in Information Systems, Questrom School of Business Tracking Code23599933241120Job Description
The Questrom School of Business at Boston University seeks to hire a non-tenure track Clinical Assistant Professor trained in Information Systems, Computer Science, Product Management, Digital Transformation, Business Analytics, Data Science, and/or related disciplines. Pending Provost budgetary approval, the anticipated start date for this position is July 1, 2024.
We seek outstanding candidates who would be comfortable in, stimulated by, and engaged with both the graduate and undergraduate student populations as well as corporate partners. Candidates with relevant experience in industry are encouraged to apply; at least 2 years of industry experience is desired.
Faculty will be expected to teach graduate courses in the MS in Business Analytics and the MBA+MS in Digital Technology program. The former is a technical Master's program offering rigorous hands-on training in solving data problems in business context, the latter is a technical masters degree that many of our MBA students obtain simultaneously with their business degree. Faculty may also be asked to guide students in capstone projects focusing on product-oriented problems in partnership with corporate partners.
The Questrom School of Business is building a strong group of faculty with expertise in product management and data analytics. Key hires in this area in recent years represent a strategic focus for the school. Our world-class faculty conduct interdisciplinary research at the intersection of Information Systems, Economics, and Machine Learning. Our faculty include global experts in the areas of fintech, digital healthcare, online reputation systems, platform economics, and social media, among others. Questrom is regularly ranked among the top global institutions for research output, and eleven Questrom faculty (five in IS) have recently been named among the top 2% of all scientists globally for citation impact. The strengths of the Questrom School in analytics along with its diverse and outstanding student body has led to the MSBA program being ranked in the top-10 in the USA. Thus, this position presents an exciting opportunity to teach advanced analytics and product management in a business context.
Required and Desired Skills:
● A PhD in information systems, operations research, computer science, engineering, applied math or statistics is required. Technical industry experience is highly desirable.
● A deep knowledge of the methods for construction of modern digital products is essential; actual industry experience with such is highly desired. Applicants should have a working knowledge of cloud-based development, web-tech, cell-phone tech, backend systems including databases, data pipelines, and dev-ops/prod-ops.
● Applicants should have product management expertise, including an understanding of requirements gathering and research, design thinking, UI/UX and design tooling. Applicants should be familiar with project management concepts including agile / scrum, as well as the tools facilitating its deployment.
● Knowledge of digital transformation projects, including process analysis and data-driven iterative development is desirable.
● A data-oriented view on product development is part of our curricular goals. Therefore, experience in applied machine learning techniques and ability to work with large datasets leveraging latest technologies is desired.
● The ability to teach the above skills in a hands-on manner to students (including novices) using Python and other appropriate technologies with the help of applied industry examples is essential. Candidates should have strong communication skills and demonstrate a strong ability to teach. Prior experience in teaching courses at the undergraduate or graduate level is desirable.
The Questrom School of Business believes that the cultural and social diversity of our faculty, staff, and students is vitally important to the distinction and excellence of our research and academic programs. To that end, we are especially eager to have colleagues join our ranks who support our institutional commitment to ensuring BU is inclusive, equitable, diverse, and a place where all constituents can thrive. The Questrom School of Business seeks to continue diversifying our faculty, student and staff ranks, recognizing that diversity of experience and thought deepens the intellectual endeavor.
The Questrom School of Business offers generous research and teaching support. The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
DO NOT APPLY THROUGH THE BOSTON UNIVERSITY HR WEBSITE.
Interested parties should apply via
In your application, please include (1) cover letter (2) CV (3) programming sample or reference to one on e.g. github (4) teaching evaluations or equivalent content demonstrating teaching ability (5) 2-3 references.
Please contact our department administrators with any questions regarding the position or application process through email at email@example.com.
Application Deadline: For full consideration apply by January 15, 2024. We will evaluate applications on a rolling basis and accept them until the position is filled.
BU conducts a background check on all final candidates for certain faculty and staff positions. The background check includes contacting the final candidate’s current and previous employer(s) to ask whether, in the last seven years, there has been a substantiated finding of misconduct violating that employer’s applicable sexual misconduct policies. To implement this process, the University requires a final candidate to complete and sign the form entitled “Authorization to Release Information” after execution of an offer letter.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, natural or protective hairstyle, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, or because of marital, parental, or veteran status. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job LocationBoston, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular