The School of Public Health and Health Sciences at California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) invites applications for a Tenured Associate or Full Professor (Academic Year) with an appointment as School of Public Health and Health Sciences Chair, starting in Fall 2024.
At CSUDH, we celebrate and respect diversity in all forms, including every race, religion, gender, ethnicity, veterans, people with varied abilities, and members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, advocates, + community. CSUDH seeks applications from candidates who can demonstrate experience in teaching and working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and contribute to the University’s mission, vision, and core values.
For more information: Mission, Vision, and Core Values.
- Manage and supervise faculty and staff, and administer and evaluate academic programs, budget, and student advisement. Engage in public health professional scholarly and community-engaged collaborative activities. Create and maintain an academic and collegial environment that fosters teaching, research, and community service excellence. Guide both curriculum and faculty development. Working in collaboration with the Health Sciences Academic Advisor. Secure and manage external funding. Demonstrate the vision to lead a dynamic and growing School. Emphasizes research excellence, quality undergraduate and graduate instruction. Promote community engagement. Participate in transparent academic shared governance at the school, college, and university levels. Foster faculty development through mentorship, collaboration, and training opportunities. Other duties as assigned.
- Applicants must have experience in teaching and working with colleagues from diverse age, socioeconomic, cultural, and academic backgrounds.
- Earned doctorate in Public Health, e.g., PhD, DPH, DrPH, or closely related field, e.g., Health Psychology, Medical Sociology, Medical Anthropology, etc. from an accredited institution of higher education. At least six (6) recent years of satisfactory progressive teaching experience. A record of scholarly accomplishments that may include publications in peer-reviewed academic journals, invited contributions to publications, invitations to present at national conferences, or successful external funding awards. Demonstrated experience in curriculum development. At least three (3) years of demonstrated experience in an administrative position. History of faculty development activities Have a history of tenure awarded. Demonstrated academic leadership skills (e.g., Director of MPH Program, department chair, or related leadership positions),
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills, and effective conflict-resolution skills. Demonstrated experience with CEPH or CAHME accreditation standards as they apply to graduate programs Experience securing and managing grants Leadership in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through teaching, scholarship, curriculum development, administrative experience, or professional activities in public health Earned MPH from an accredited program Experience developing new undergraduate and graduate programs within a CSU or similar academic system Familiarity with community-engaged research
How to Apply
A completed on-line application must be received by electronic submission to be considered. To apply, please visit CSUDH career-opportunities.
Application Deadline Date:
The position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin on December 8, 2023. For full consideration, please submit your completed application with the required materials no later than January 15, 2024. The anticipated timeline is initial interviews in early February 2024 and final interviews in early March 2024. The application must include:
- Current Curriculum Vitae with contact information
- Cover letter
- Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (2 pages maximum)*
- List of 3 references with contact information**
- Unofficial transcripts (an official transcript will be required for the finalist)***
- A Statement on Teaching (2 pages maximum)
- A Statement on Research (2 pages maximum)
- Sample Publications or Evidence of Creative/Scholarly Activity
- Teaching Evaluations (if available)
*Given CSUDH’s commitment to diversity and inclusion for all students, faculty, staff, and administrators, describe your individual commitment and experiences in advancing diversity and inclusion and how they relate to your future teaching and research.
**This position requires three letters of recommendation (LORs). Please do not upload your LORs with your application. Your list of references will be notified at the appropriate time during the search process. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the LOR. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUDH by logging back into your applicant portal.
***For finalist with international transcripts, a United States Equivalency certification will be required.
A United States (US) Equivalency certification is required for earned/awarded/conferred foreign terminal degrees, which is from a foreign Academic Institution for foreign studies. The US Equivalency certification is used to validate foreign studies from an academic credential evaluation agency and is evaluated on foreign studies and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from the United States. The certification must translate the information in English and confirm that your highest terminal degree is US Equivalent to a US terminal degree (i.e., Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctorate’s, Doctor’s of Philosophy). The certification can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed directly to the office of Faculty Affairs and Development, 1000 East Victoria Street, WH-368, Carson, CA 90747.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Dr. Elwin R. Tilson
Search Committee Chair
CSU, Dominguez Hills
1000 East Victoria Street, (School of Public Health and Health Sciences)
Carson, CA 90747
School of Public Health and Health Sciences
The School of Public Health and Health Sciences has approximately 600 majors and is housed within the College of Health, Human Services, and Nursing. This dynamic and rapidly growing School offers a B.S. degree in Health Science with concentrations in community health, healthcare management, and radiologic technology, a master’s degree in Radiologic and Imaging Sciences, a master’s degree in Orthotics and Prosthetics, and a post-baccalaureate certificate in Communication Science and Disorders. An MPH program is currently under development for implementation within the next few years.
The mission of the School of Public Health and Health Sciences is to:
- Strengthen students’ intellectual capacities and abilities to develop and mobilize human and institutional resources and services to meet the health needs of diverse individuals and populations, as well as the communities in which they reside. Educate students in developing and implementing evidence-based assessment and intervention models that improve the biopsychosocial health of diverse individuals and populations, as well as the communities in which they reside. Prepare scholar-practitioners to engage in multidisciplinary scientific inquiry that advances the knowledge base of research and practice in the health disciplines. Prepare graduates who will be leaders in their fields and professions to inform and influence professional dialogues on key health issues affecting diverse individuals and populations, as well as the communities in which they reside. Prepare scholar-activists who -- with a global consciousness and ecosystemic perspective -- are committed to attaining health equity and collective well-being through the promotion of human development, universal human rights, and social justice.
For more information: https://www.csudh.edu/health-sciences/
The anticipated salary range for this position is $8,000 to $10,250 per month. Please see anticipated salary ranges for the specific classifications below:
The Associate Professor (Academic Year) classification salary range is $6,190 to $13,172 per month (12 monthly payments per academic year); The anticipated hiring salary is $8,000 to $8,500.
The Professor (Academic Year) classification salary range is $7,794 to $13,797 per month (12 monthly payments per academic year); The anticipated hiring salary is $9,500 to $10,250.
This position will be commensurate with experience and current CSUDH faculty salaries in the academic department/discipline. Faculty salaries are subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start‐up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available.
An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner, and dependent fee‐waiver; access to campus child‐care; and a defined‐benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit: https://www.csudh.edu/hr/benefits/ .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
The California State University (CSU) is committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of our students, faculty, staff, administrators, and the communities we serve, as well as maintaining higher education access and attainment for our students, as such, we embrace a comprehensive strategy designed to reduce the likelihood of transmission of the COVID-19 virus. The CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus. The systemwide policy can be found at CSU Vaccination Policy and any questions you have may be submitted to email@example.com.
Mandated Reporter Per CANRA
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment.
CSUDH is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
For more information: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the Human Resources’ Office (310) 243-3771.
Clery Act crime statistics for CSUDH are available at Campus Security Report (Clery), or by calling University Police at (310) 243-3639.
Upon appointment, all candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
The California State University is Smoke and Tobacco Free. Smoking, Vaping and other Tobacco use are Not Permitted anywhere on University property. Education Code 42356, CCR Title 5, Article 9.
For more information see: Smoke & Tobacco-Free