Financial Aid CounselorStudent Financial Services
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Student Financial Aid, the Financial Aid Counselor will be responsible for the processing of financial aid applications from initial needs analysis to packaging of offers of assistance, and counseling students regarding all student loans, scholarships, grants, and employment programs. The incumbent will also work to interpret the rationale behind student budgets, need analysis computations and all program regulations, and assist in the monitoring of aid eligibility and academic progress requirements. The incumbent will ensure compliance with federal, state, and university directives as they relate to US Department of Education guidelines.
For consideration, the candidate must have:
- Bachelor's degree required
- Experience developing and evaluating policies and procedures.
- The ability and experience to handle complex and sensitive issues.
- Analyzing data, drawing conclusions, and conducting independent research.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively learn new software programs and online databases.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Must have a valid Driver's License
- Ability to travel by car and plane for University business
- Successful candidates must complete an employment and/or criminal background check.
- Experience working with college students in the areas of mentoring, advising, and counseling. Preferred
- Experience working with faculty & staff from post-secondary institutions. Preferred
- Experience working with diverse compositions of student populations. Preferred
- Thorough understanding of federal Title IV and state Preferred
- Previous experience working in a financial aid office. Preferred
- Proficiency in Banner, Argos, COD, ELM, and NSLDS. Preferred
- Bilingual preference is Spanish and English. Preferred
Essential Responsibilities Include:
- Counsel all prospective/current students in all matters concerning financial aid, including the application process, eligibility requirements, aid for study abroad programs, additional loan options, student employment, scholarships, and loan repayment.
- Maintain knowledge of current federal, state, and institutional financial aid regulations and ensure compliance with laws, regulations, accreditation standards, and professional guidelines regarding student enrollment and financial aid.
- Assist students with billing questions, monthly payment plans, registration, and transcript holds.
- Exercise independent professional judgment with minimal supervision to counsel students on optimal financial packages based on individual circumstances.
- Help students project their costs and financial aid for the year and prepare spreadsheets with this information to share with students and parents.
- Communicate with students and parents via email, phone, or in person.
- Document pertinent interactions with students and parents. Participate in the Automated Call Distribution System, which distributes incoming phone calls for Financial Aid, Student Accounts, and Veteran Affairs offices.
- Award applicants federal, state, and institutional aid in accordance with student eligibility and institutional, federal, and state policies.
- Verify financial aid applications using federal tax documents, verification forms, etc.
- Review financial aid packages and adjust aid as necessary to maintain compliance with federal, state, and institutional policies.
- Identify, determine, and approve special circumstances appeals warranting professional judgment modifications as well as appeals for aid beyond the maximum timeframe.
- Coordinate with other campus departments to help students resolve issues, such as but not limited to: Admission, Residence Life, Registrar, Hilltopper ID Card office, Health and Counseling Center, Academic Counseling and Exploration, Academic Services, Career and Professional Development, and Human Resources.
- Attend financial aid workshops, training sessions, and conferences. Some of these training may be off-site.
- Participate in on-campus events, occasionally on weekends, such as but not limited to: Admission Open Houses, Financial Aid Call Nights, Freshmen Orientation, and High School FAFSA Saturdays.
- Participate on committees and undertake projects as assigned.
- Ensure that all Department of Athletics and University-related activities operate in full compliance with university, conference, and NCAA rules and regulations. Attends and participates in scheduled compliance seminars and complies with all Athletic Department's efforts to monitor compliance with NCAA regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
For detailed information, please scroll to the bottom of the page to download the job description.
The University offers an excellent TOTAL REWARDS package!
Medical & Rx Coverage - UMR (HSA & FSA Available)
Dental - Sunlife Dental
Vision - Sunlife Vision Plan
Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance
Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Annual Leave & Paid Sick Leave
Retirement Plan - (TIAA) Employee 5%/Employer Match 7%
Services & Discounts
An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at; https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summaryHOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit an online application at: https://stedwards.applicantpro.com
. Please include resume, cover letter, and three employment references
. No Calls Please. Applications will not be considered if it is missing any of these three items.In your cover letter, please describe your lived experiences that prepare you to contribute to diversity and inclusion at St. Edward's University.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. Sponsorship:
We are not offering sponsorship at this time.Background Checks:
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.