Director of Residential and Commuter LifeJob Description:
As a part of a diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews, Marian University seeks a Director of Residential and Commuter Life to promote our Catholic Franciscan mission and identity by providing vision, leadership, and strategic direction for a strong residential living learning community and commuter student support in concert with the vision, mission, and values of the university. Reporting to the Dean of Students, the Director will develop initiatives and measure program effectiveness, related to: residential and commuter student engagement and success in the community and in the classroom; integration of Catholic Franciscan foundation; student leadership and character development; organizational effectiveness; residential marketing; growth in residential population/occupancy management, facility management; business operations; and emergency preparedness/response.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values, honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, through transformative education unity in diversity, leadership through service, integrating faith and life, institutional policies.
- Articulate Residential and Commuter Life vision, strategic plan, goals and intended outcomes, ensuring that they are aligned with the overall goals of the Division of Student Success and Engagement and the university strategic plan and that they are measured and clearly stated to key stakeholders.
- Create collaborative initiatives with Enrollment Management, Academic Affairs, Student Success and Engagement, Dining Services, Business Office, Campus Operations, Institutional Technology, Conference Services and Events, Center for Academic Success and Engagement, the Exchange, International Student Services, Campus Safety, and Alumni Relations to actualize university and department goals and contribute to a vibrant campus life experience. In some cases, the Director will delegate this work to or include in this work the Assistant Director and/or the Area Coordinators.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this department, including current and future direction, occupancy management, billing, organizational effectiveness, quality of living and learning environment, policy and process development, and ongoing evaluation and improvement.
- Establish and execute an exceptional marketing plan in partnership with Marketing Communications that results in achieving growth in new and returning students in the Marian University residential student community.
- Develop and implement all housing policies in concert with the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities as well as oversee the adjudication of all infractions within all housing facilities. Ensures the security and safety of students; responsible for crisis and risk management.
- Participate in or directly oversee the hiring, training, development, supervision, and evaluation of all full-time and student employees in the Office of Residential and Commuter Life, including the Assistant Director, Area Coordinators, Resident Assistants, Commuter Assistants, Hall Assistants, and Summer Conference Assistants. Provide training and direction for the Student Affairs Specialist related to housing services. The Director supervises the Assistant Director. The Assistant Director supervises three (3) Area Coordinators who oversee all undergraduate residential spaces.
- Prepare and monitor the housing budget and oversight for all housing facility area budgets, within budget guidelines.
- Manage and sustain all housing facilities, overall.
- Knowledge of and a commitment to the mission of Marian University.
- Adheres to Marian University’s policy and procedures.
- Shows courtesy and respect in interactions with fellow employees, students subordinates, and supervisors.
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about Department issues.
- Meets department productivity standards.
- Participates in developing department goals, objective, and systems.
- Establishes department measurements that align and support the accomplishment of the university’s strategic goals.
- Adheres to the department budget.
Required Qualifications:To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel or related field plus at least three to five years of progressively responsible experience in university housing/residence life required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, project development, and staff management experience, and the ability to work with diverse populations also required.
- Administrative and marketing experience preferred.
- Must have experience with student information systems as well as excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to collect, interpret, and report data relevant to program development, facility use, and attainment of outcomes.
- Ability to respond to inquiries. Ability to write and deliver speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to members of the university and business community.
- Must have an understanding of current compliance issues impacting higher education. The position requires adherence to Marian University, state and federal guidelines with fire and safety, ADA, FLSA, OSHA standards, building and personnel regulations. Operational skills with a strong service orientation and refined problem resolution expertise are required.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a cover letter, a current resume, contact information for three professional references, and responses to the supplemental mission questions.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.Preferred Qualifications:
Please Review Marian University’s Mission & Identity Statement before responding to the supplementary questions on your application:Posting Number:
P394SOpen Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please Review Marian University’s Mission & Identity Statement before responding to the supplementary questions on your application:Quick Link for Internal Postings: